520 upgrade vs. Incra TS111 ultra fence

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

psargeant
Gold Member

520 upgrade vs. Incra TS111 ultra fence

Post by psargeant »

The upgrade special has sparked a lot of interest in Shopsmith owners to consider their options based on the things I have read on this web site. I have a 510 and was wondering if upgrading to the 520 would be as versatile or as valuable as purchasing the Incra TS111 for the 510. It seems to me that the Incra fence provides all the benefits of the 520 fence but can also be used for its precision on the router table. I would appreciate feedback from those who have considered these options and why they decided what they did and what they have experienced.

Phil Sargeant
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

I upgraded to the 520 when it first came out. I bought the TSIII a few years ago. I use them both and don't always have the TSIII on the SS. Horizontal boring and drill press modes come to mind and I prefer the 520 fence for these operations.
Jim in Tucson
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

james.miller wrote:I upgraded to the 520 when it first came out. I bought the TSIII a few years ago. I use them both and don't always have the TSIII on the SS. Horizontal boring and drill press modes come to mind and I prefer the 520 fence for these operations.
Is it that easy to swap them out?
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

It only takes a couple of minutes to install or remove the TSIII, could probably get it down to just over a minute if I hurried but then things tend to go wrong. I keep the router table and floating table mounted on the 5' tubes to speed things up. I cut a gage block to just over 4" to set the end table lower than the main table so the assembled tables & tubes are ready to slide into place then set the TSIII into place and it's ready to go.
Jim in Tucson
georgek1
Gold Member

Post by georgek1 »

I have a 520 and I am seriously considering a Jointech designed specifically for the 520. The TS111 model designed for SS appears to have been deleted. The current pricing for a total package from Jointech seems very attractive.
Any other thoughts on this? Has anyone had experience with Jointec?
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

What do you get with the incra ts111 ultra? I here people talking about router table also, could someone explain? I had an incra ultra router setup and liked it a lot. Easy to setup for dovetails and box joints. I sold it when I downsized to a shopsmith (I really upgraded to a shopsmith).:D As for jointech it has alway looked like a great setup and the system is on sale right now. Not sure if you can still get it for the 510 though.
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

georgek1 wrote:I have a 520 and I am seriously considering a Jointech designed specifically for the 520. The TS111 model designed for SS appears to have been deleted. The current pricing for a total package from Jointech seems very attractive.
Any other thoughts on this? Has anyone had experience with Jointec?

I have the Jointech Sawtrain CabinetMaker's System and have been very pleased with it for several years. The only complaints I have are that on the 520 you can NOT reverse the Jointech fence like you can on the 500 (and I believe the 510 as well). Also, it is a bit time consuming to change the height of the saw blade (i.e. change the height of the tables).

On the other hand, the Jointech system for the 520 gives you accuracy AND repeatability that you just can't get with the SS alone. The JT system makes it easy to cut different widths on the table saw and rapidly return to the "exact" width of a previous setting to cut another piece (like the one I always forget to cut until I've changed the setup) :)

I originally had a Jointech system for my SS500 and sold it when I bought a 520 (it's a long story) to replace my 500. I then bought the Jointech system for the 520. I have not been sorry.

One last note. You will find Jointech customer service the same as Shopsmith's - GREAT! They are always ready and willing to do whatever it takes to make customers happy.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.