1956 Mark V restoration

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Also, a new Tie Bar is p/n 50426401 at Shopsmith, also @ $15 range. Not sure they're in stock now, but you can call and check for sure. I've bought one in my past, fixing a busted Greenie....
Chris
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

Things are starting to come along again with the Shopsmith restoration. I have take the Mark V apart and have an electrolosis bucket set up. I ordered some new paint and bought a bandsaw.

I am planning to rebuild the headstock in a week or two. I am wondering if I should just pre order new bearings and belts. Any thoughts? how hard is it to replace a quill bearing? I see them on ebay for about 12 bucks. Thanks out there

Russ
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

What is your location? There may be one close to you.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

russsaw wrote:Things are starting to come along again with the Shopsmith restoration. I have take the Mark V apart and have an electrolosis bucket set up. I ordered some new paint and bought a bandsaw.

I am planning to rebuild the headstock in a week or two. I am wondering if I should just pre order new bearings and belts. Any thoughts? how hard is it to replace a quill bearing? I see them on ebay for about 12 bucks. Thanks out there

Russ
Russ,

You can get the quill bearing from SS for $5.00. You can gently persuade the old bearing off and the new one should slide on by hand without a press (at least mine did). All the other bearings require a puller and press to replace.

Definitely order bearings and belts from SS now so they'll be here when you need them. Since you have it apart and since your Greenie is 60 years old, they should be replaced. The beltsare as cheap from SS as you can get them on eBay. The help kit may also be worth looking into since it has the maintenance manual and assorted nuts, screws and washers that inevitably turn up missing. Here's the maintenance packet for the Gilmer system. It's taking orders from SS about a week or two for delivery.

Repair instructions
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

I ordered the quill, motor, and drive bearings off the internet. I am wondering about the small looped bearing that goes on the end of the speed sheave. I am not sure about what I need to buy for it's replacement. my greenie is a 1956. I also have a new gilmer belt headed my way. I am going to wait to order an new idler shaft bearing until I test it as it is so expensive. I am hoping that it is still ok. I watched the entire Jacob Anderson rebuild video last night.

I am gonna see if I can't find someone with a hydrolycic bearing press. Currently I have the joiner in the electrolysis bath
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

by the way, I am in California in the North Bay
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3D1&_rdc=1

Do I need this bearing? and if I do, what is the part # for it off the shopsmith website? I can't seem to find it. Thanks
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

russsaw wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3D1&_rdc=1

Do I need this bearing? and if I do, what is the part # for it off the shopsmith website? I can't seem to find it. Thanks
It is for the Control sheave end. The button rides on the quadrant and the loop hooks over the quadrant. The Control Sheave button is only available from this company, not Shopsmith. I buy the buttons from them. I have been very happy with their products, service and speed of shipment.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
michaeltoc
Gold Member

Post by michaeltoc »

ddvann79 wrote: Dusty has told me on several occasions, "No Hammers." :o
But I was always taught that a good mechanic needs only two tools - a hammer and a bigger hammer :D
Michael

Mark V Model 500 (1985) upgraded to 520 (2009) and PowerPro (2011); Bandsaw, Jointer, Jigsaw, Planer.
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

Here's a few pictures of my electrolysis setup. The way tubes are now looking way better but they still don't shine like I would like them too despite my scotch pad and wet/dry sand paper. Any suggestions?
Attachments
029b.JPG
029b.JPG (147.09 KiB) Viewed 2989 times
040b.JPG
040b.JPG (142.65 KiB) Viewed 2985 times