saw safety guard

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

muncyjohn
Gold Member

saw safety guard

Post by muncyjohn »

I know that many of you have removed your saw safety /dust guard because it is a PITA to take off and put on when doing anything! I am guilty in a way too.

When I got my SS it was left hanging on the wall but was later sent to me, one thing I learned a long time ago is that especially when ripping wood it sometimes has a tendancy to close at the rear of the cut and immediately made me a homemade splitter, has anyone else done this???

If you are running with out a splitter on your saw IMHO you are asking for trouble, they are very easy to make and well worth the effort. Mine is made to just clear the cut such as in making a dado it does not interfere since it is a little shy of the blade height.

Maybe this has been addressed before but today I was in the process of my guard to give it a try and thought it was important enough to bring to the forum for those who do not use their guard or homemade splitter.
John in Muncy Pa.

SS 510 w/most accessories
Wife says I should have bought this in the first place and she is always right, just takes a little convincing!
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I use my guard whenever possible. I can't use it when using a zero clearance insert, at least without modifying the insert. I intend to to just that sometime. I hope it's before I have a problem.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

As a firm believer in Professor Murphy's Law, I seldom make a cut in saw mode without the guard. It's just my opinion that the zero clearance insert doesn't offer enough advantages to justify the risk.

Whenever I'm faced with the prospect/need to make a cut without the saw guard, I think hard about what other tool or method I can use to accomplish the same objective. An example would be to use the band saw to cut a tennon rather than use the tennoning jig on the table saw.
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

The bandsaw is a great tool for cutting tennons. I too try to use the blade guard at all times.
popstoyshop
Gold Member

saw guard

Post by popstoyshop »

Hi Folks,

I know this is contrary to "THE BOOK", but most older woodworkers including myself have the opinion that blade guards get you hurt.

Attending a meeting of a local woodworking club the question was asked of the 20 or 30 woodworkers in the room "how many of you use a saw guard?".
Not one hand went up.

The basic bottom line here is I want to see that blade and the location of my fingers. That way knowing were things are I can keep my fingers safe.

Bill G.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Check out 555518 (if you have the 505, 510, 520 saw table) for a preformed insert with a cut out for the upper saw guard.

Ed
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

"Attending a meeting of a local woodworking club the question was asked of the 20 or 30 woodworkers in the room "how many of you use a saw guard?".
Not one hand went up."

What comes to mind is what my mother would say to this: "If the local woodworking club all jumped off a cliff, would you jump off one too?":rolleyes:

The regular use of sawguards is a learned behavior, exactly like the regular use of seat belts. At first, they seem to be a hassle. Once you get used to them, you don't feel right without them. Additionally, many years ago "Psychology Today" published a study of the psychographics of people who do and don't use seat belts. People who used them tended to be more upbeat and have a better opinion of themselves. In other words, the more they valued their own lives, the more likely they were to use seat belts. So you have to ask yourself: Just how much do you value your fingers?

The studies that show that saw guards prevent accidents are many and various. The horse puckey that we hear from time to time that saw guards cause accidents is just horse puckey. It's nothing more than a poor excuse for not changing a bad habit, and there isn't a single study to back it up.

With all good wishes,
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

I just read an article about a book recommending that we let boys be boys and take risks as we did in childhood, instead of coddling them as today's society tends to do. I must admit I have long held this opinion.

However, I also worked many years for a company that stressed safety. They did not say don't do things, just do it safely.

Woodworking is a risky hobby, especially with all the power tools we use today. I certainly would not like to stop taking those risks, but I prefer to do it safely, that is with the guards in place. It becomes habit just like any other habit, good or bad.

John
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

batg4 wrote:I use my guard whenever possible. I can't use it when using a zero clearance insert, at least without modifying the insert. I intend to to just that sometime. I hope it's before I have a problem.
I have a Shopsmith zero clearance insert and have no issues using it with the saw guard. I never make a cut without it, if it is possible to use it. I went on vacation and my 18 year old son (and friend) used my Shopsmith without the guard and I had to clean up the blood, luckily it was just a cut from wood kickback and not contact with the blade. I also got a big surprise when I plugged in the saw and the blade started. When he got cut he pulled the cord to shut the saw, I would have appreciated a magnetic switch.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

reible wrote:Check out 555518 (if you have the 505, 510, 520 saw table) for a preformed insert with a cut out for the upper saw guard.

Ed
555518? Where can I find this?