Newbie here

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

lbzee
Bronze Member

Newbie here

Post by lbzee »

Hello to the SS forum!

I've been following the posts for about a month now and wanted to jump in and say hello. I don't currently have a Shopsmith but I will have one this Saturday!!!! in case you can't tell, I'm very excited and looking forward to getting my machine! :)
I discovered these awesome machines by accident as I used to have a few woodworking tools and wanted to get back in the hobby. As I was pricing several tools that I wanted (table saw, bench sander and band saw) I soon discovered that I could have all these and more in one machine and for much less cost by getting the SS. I started with the SS website and the rest will soon be hstory.
I found a great Mark V on Craigslist for $500 being sold by an even greater retired fellow and he was nice enough to let me pay it out a little at a time. He said he though my SS was made in the late 50's and I'm really looking forward to posting all the info like you guys have.
I look forward to the day when I can post advice or expertise on the fine machines. I also look forward to getting to know all of you and will appreciate all input.
Here's a couple of pics of my new baby.
[ATTACH]10915[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10916[/ATTACH]
Attachments
3m53o63l75O15P35X5aa51ffd1a130e3f1d6a.jpg
3m53o63l75O15P35X5aa51ffd1a130e3f1d6a.jpg (7.44 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
3pf3o63la5Y15Z05P3aa555c5b4f8d6271fa0.jpg
3pf3o63la5Y15Z05P3aa555c5b4f8d6271fa0.jpg (6.33 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

Welcome! Looks like you made a nice find. You will enjoy this group and the machine.
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
hoagie
Gold Member

Post by hoagie »

Welcome to the forum.
As you have already learned over the past few months, there is a wealth of information to be had here.
Congrats on the N2U ShopSmith.
Hoagie - B.P.O.E. - NRA Benefactor
Mark V 520, Band Saw, Jointer, Planer, Belt Sander, Biscuit Joiner, RingMaster
Delta Dust Collector, Jet AFS
All generalizations are dangerous. Even this one.
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Again welcome to the group and if you got what is in the pictures for $500 and he even let you pay it out you did very well for yourself and will enjoy this machine for years to come.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
lbzee
Bronze Member

Post by lbzee »

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, all of that (and other items not pictured) for 5payments of $100. He's really a neat guy and said he'd rather me have it and pay it out because I wanted it so bad and he wanted it to go to a good home.
I've already got the books and manuals and am ready to make some sawdust! Come on Saturday! :D
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Welcome to the forum. Please let me warn you, you will get far more advise here on far more subjects than you ever imagined but it is a great place to come. It seems as though some of us never leave.

As has been said, if the pictures show what you got for $500, you got a really good deal. Even if some of it needs repair. The three items on the table alone would have been a good deal at $500. That means the Mark V was FREE.

Before you start using it, spend some time of the forum and learn how to lubricate it and maybe clean it a little and wax it a little. This routine can be likened to foreplay before making...SAWDUST.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rolands
Gold Member

Post by rolands »

Once again, welcome to the site. I'm sure the machine will give you hours of enjoyment. :)
papahammer8
Gold Member

Post by papahammer8 »

welcome to the forum. sounds like u caught the bug hahahaha. enjoy it . nothing better than working with wood. hag1 jim
jim bandy lafayette alabama 79 model 500 /80 model 500/94model 510 mini/ planer/dc3300/bandsaw/jointer/ lathe duplicator/ router table with a porter cablerouter.
backhertz
Platinum Member

Post by backhertz »

Welcome to the most civilized forum on the Internet. We are all bound by wood chips & dust. You got a good deal on your Shopsmith and as you start using it, you might consider the newest modification: a PowerPro DVR motor. It is expensive but it will put out 2 horsepower if you feed 220/240 VAC into it. You can read all about it. But I highly recommend you use what you have & get to know it. So many people buy Shopsmiths & some use them as little as one time and then they get sold. There are many resources shut as Nick Engler's Saw Dust Sessions where Nick show the tricks & secrets. More importantly he shows you how to take the headstock part and keep it clean. There are other DVDs available as well. I've rebuilt 4 or 5 headstocks and it's really not hard, plus you get to see how the Reeves speed control works. I am in the middle of a home renovation. MY garage/workshop were the first completed, but are currently being used for temporary storage until our 2nd floor is sheet rocked. I hope that happens fast so I can modify one of my headstocks with a Power Pro. I've been too busy to find them in my basement. lol There are many safety procedures you should become familiar with like with any power tool. Good luck!
One Greenie, Two Mark 7s,Three 510s and much more…
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Great deal lbzee.
Glad to have you in the forum.
So what's your forum name about?? Enter your reply on this threadif you'd like.
Mike
Sunny San Diego