Where can I find small rosette cutters?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jmcniece
Bronze Member

Where can I find small rosette cutters?

Post by jmcniece »

I'm building a small scale version of a Queen Ann style chair and want to put some rosettes into the design. However, the smallest rosette cutters I can find are around 2 1/2 inches diameter. I'm looking to make some smaller rosettes around 1 inch diameter (actual shape doesn't matter). If anyone has some links, sources or ideas for something that would work - that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
ricknwood
Gold Member

Post by ricknwood »

Hi Jmcnice,
small ones are hard to find, but if you go to this MLCS page you might find one to your liking. The smallest ones are 1 1/2".
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite ... osette.htm
hope that helps.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Watch the "Drill Bit Primer" from the first Sawdust Session when we post it Monday next. (Go to http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm.) I show you how to make your own, any size you want. Or you can look for a copy of my book, "Using the Drill Press."

With all good wishes,
jmcniece
Bronze Member

Post by jmcniece »

thanks - will look for it.
jmcniece
Bronze Member

Post by jmcniece »

thanks and I've book marked this site, but really 1.5 inches is still a bit to big.
charlese
Platinum Member

Had to educate myself a bit

Post by charlese »

jmcniece wrote:thanks and I've book marked this site, but really 1.5 inches is still a bit to big.
Hi jmcniece! I didn't know squat about rosette cutters so went on a cruise of the web. (still don't know much!) The smallest I found was 1 1/2 inches. Guess they just don't make them smaller. When I think about it - the cutter would have to be pretty simple as there is only < 3/4" to make a profile. I'd be interested to see how the sawdust session would make small rosettes. Seems is they could be done using drill bits, they would have a hole in the center from the spike. (Maybe that would be a good thing - using different sized bits)

I was surprised to learn that these cutters are to be used only in a drill press of a lathe. These are not for routers! That surprised me.

Here are a couple of references you might find usable:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/ordersta ... e_plug.pdf

and the second is for a cutter that will cut out small wheels (1 3/8 diameter) but it would leave an axle hole.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=903
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
al_killian
Gold Member

Post by al_killian »

I have seen articles where a router was used to make the different styles. If I can find the magazines I will let you know.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

jmcniece wrote:I'm building a small scale version of a Queen Ann style chair and want to put some rosettes into the design. However, the smallest rosette cutters I can find are around 2 1/2 inches diameter. I'm looking to make some smaller rosettes around 1 inch diameter (actual shape doesn't matter). If anyone has some links, sources or ideas for something that would work - that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Today had the opportunity to view the "sawdust session" Nick referred to earlier in the thread. Here is how you make a small rosette: Take a spade bit of the appropriate size (width) and grind the relief on it that you want. Use it to cut your rosette.

Not ever having done this - it seems that a triangular file and a small rat tailed file (small chain saw file) would work just fine to "sculpt" the spade bit.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

jmcniece wrote:I'm building a small scale version of a Queen Ann style chair and want to put some rosettes into the design. However, the smallest rosette cutters I can find are around 2 1/2 inches diameter. I'm looking to make some smaller rosettes around 1 inch diameter (actual shape doesn't matter). If anyone has some links, sources or ideas for something that would work - that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

If you don't mind buying them then look for them under pressed wood rosette's. Lots of companies sell them and they come in a lot of sizes and much fancier then most of us would take time to do. They have some that look hand carved and in several types of wood.

I used some of these in a bedroom I redid. On the top of windows and doors I did a square corner blocks and attached them to the block... I was going to use the router table and rosette maker I have but this was easier and faster.

If you can't find them let me know and I will check a few catalogs I have and post some links.

Ed
greitz
Gold Member

1" diameter rosette cutters

Post by greitz »

The Eagle America catalog (http://www.eagleamerica.com, 1-800-872-2511) lists 1" and 1 1/2" diameter carbide tipped cutters in 6 different patterns, all with 1/2" shanks.

Gary