Power Coupler

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

banjopikker
Bronze Member

Power Coupler

Post by banjopikker »

Hi, I recently purchased a used model 500 Mark V. I ordered a power coupler kit from shopsmith to power the bandsaw.. One end of it has 4 splines and the other end has 5 splines. The accessory hubs both have 4 splines. Did shopsmith send me the wrong hubs or coupler , or am i missing something? I also ordered new blades for my bandsaw. The blade tracks almost off the top wheel toward the back. I noticed that the top wheel tilts in at the top toward the back of the saw housing. Is this a normal for this saw? I am a newbe to woodworking and I need some advice . I didn't get any manuals on setup for this machine. Do the Shopsmith manuals help with this? Thanks
dusty
Platinum Member

Power Coupler

Post by dusty »

The power coupler mates with 503572 (Accessory Hub) on one side and the hub that you received with your coupler. One end has four splines and the other has five.

This prevents the user from putting the coupler on backwards. Notice that the coupler is marked for "Accessory" and "Headstock".

What you need and apparently don't have is:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... tem=503572

What you received (and do need) was the Shopsmith Power Coupler:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... oupler.htm

I looked, to see if you had missed a note somewhere telling you what you needed to use the coupler. I found no such warning. Unfortunately, all you can do is order (again) and wait (again).

Check your headstock just to make certain that you don't have two already on your headstock.

I keep two mounted on my headstock to help with heat dissipation from the drive shafts.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
psargeant
Gold Member

Power coupler

Post by psargeant »

Welcome to the Shopsmith forum! A neophyte to the Shopsmith world can learn a lot of things from the experience of many who contribute to this forum on a regular basis. The first thing you need to purchase is the "Bible" of shopsmith owners called "Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone" known commonly on this forum as PTWFE. It can be purchased from Shopsmith for around $32. The most recent edition is I believe the 5th. I tell you that because you can find earlier editions fairly cheap on e-bay but the later edition is the most up-to-date.
Regarding your coupler, it would seem to me you should have received a 5 spline hub in addition to the items you received. The two four spline hubs attach to the spindles on the left side of the headstock, the five spline hub to the accessory tool and the plastic coupler joins them together. I would call Shopsmith and they will most likely mail you one along. If not, it is available as a separate part for about $5.
Regarding your bandsaw blade, my blade seems to do the same thing...that is it seems to track off center to the inside and the upper wheel appears to slant slightly inward. I have cut wood with it like this for 15 years and have changed blades for different sawing functions and have never experienced any problem. I don't know if this is normal but it is the way mine is too.
Welcome to the forum and good luck enjoying your "new" tools. It is a healthy addiction!
Phil Sargeant
banjopikker
Bronze Member

Power Coupler

Post by banjopikker »

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the power coupler kit thinking the coupler hubs were to hook-up both ends. I see now that both couplers that came with the kit were for the headstock end. After digging around in the box that came with the Mark V, I found the same 2 hubs. So all I really need is the coupler shaft and the accessory hub. Guess I'll call shopsmith tomorrow . Thanks a bunch.
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

Please follow the link to the old thread about band saw wheel alignment http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ht=bandsaw Hopefully it will help answer your questions
Jim in Tucson
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Upper Bandsaw Wheel

Post by flashbacpt »

The tilt that you describe on the upper wheel of your bandsaw is normal. It is approximately a 3 degree tilt.:) :)
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

The Shopsmith bandsaw has a unique design that eliminates the need for you ever to have to adjust the tracking. The slightly-tilted upper wheel causes the blade to track toward the inside edges of the tires. However, before it can move too far, the back of the blade rubs again a bearing just to the left and slightly beneath the upper wheel -- the tracking bearing. Owing to this set-up, the back of your bandsaw blades will always track in approximately the same position, while the teeth will track in different position depending on the width of the blade.

With all good wishes,