Weekly Blog - August 13th

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Weekly Blog - August 13th

Post by john »

Another nice week though a little too cool to sit out most nights.

Finally got rid of those persistent wasps in my soffit, but I guess I was more persistent.

Spent a good part of the week applying finish to the doll cradle parts and all that is left to do is assemble it.

Made a trip to the local hardwood dealer to get some red oak for the next cradle and while there, discovered a good piece of jatoba in their scrap pile. For 3 bucks I got a piece that will do three bread knives. I can hardly wait to get started. I'm hoping to resaw at least one and sandwhich a piece of maple between the jatoba for a nice contrast.

Also started on my outdoor Christmas decorations. Traced the pattern, cut the forms, and applied one coat of primer and one coat of white paint so far. as you will see, this is not really a woodworking project but more of a paint-by-number project, but it provides a nice change of pace and results in a colourful and friendly decoration. Meet "Mr. & Mrs. Frosty".

Have a good week!

John
Attachments
Mr & Mrs Frosty #1.JPG
Mr & Mrs Frosty #1.JPG (143.65 KiB) Viewed 16188 times
Mr & Mrs Frosty #2.JPG
Mr & Mrs Frosty #2.JPG (140.52 KiB) Viewed 16178 times
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Nice. Who's the artist? And where are you that's too cold to sit outside? Surely not the lower 48. ;)
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

No artist, just a pattern from Winfield, which is a company that sells patterns to the "arts & crafts" community.

As to location, it's in the Montreal, Canada area. Not too cold actually but in the mid sixties. If we were camping we would think it's a good night for a fire but.

John
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

Hey John,

Nice yard ornaments. I guess I should do Christmas projects in the summer also. As a bakery owner, Christmas means 3 weeks straight of 20 hour days and no time for anything but working and an occasional nap!:)

This week we had record high's in SC, so I stayed inside most of the time after spending all day in front of a big oven! We also had a new arrival to the family this week. We're hosting an exchange student from South Korea for the school year, so a lot of time was also spent adjusting for all of us. My son is excited b/c he is the same age (16) and they will be in the same class at school. Maybe I can teach him some woodworking!

Be sure and post pictures of the cradle! I've got another grand baby due in Oct., so I may need the plans:eek:
Alan

'Baking The World A Better Place' :)
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Got through the first Sawdust Session without a mechanical, electrical, electronic, physical, or psychological meltdown. THAT qualifies for some sort of You Lucky Dog award, I'm sure.

With all good wishes,
Attachments
Studio_workshop.jpg
Studio_workshop.jpg (29.99 KiB) Viewed 16180 times
Nick&Drew.jpg
Nick&Drew.jpg (29.22 KiB) Viewed 16179 times
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

You Lucky Dog

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi Nick,

Congratulations! Slap on the back! Hooray!, :D
How's that?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Lessee now:

#1-Got mauled by chiggers for the second time this summer. Am now waging chemical warfare and may engage in incendiary warfare by setting my yard on fire this weekend.

#2-Discovered Blue Emu oil which has proven wonderful in reducing the itching caused by chiggers.

#3-Determined I truly hate chiggers with a passion. Much prefer ticks. At least I can see them.

#4-Continued work on a series of presentation plaques made of cherry with a trim of walnut and holly.

#5-Remembered my girlfriend's birthday and actually got her what she wanted, vice what I did at Christmas which was exercise my own initiative. Birthday was successful, unlike Christmas. :D
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

ericolson wrote:Lessee now:

#1-Got mauled by chiggers for the second time this summer. Am now waging chemical warfare and may engage in incendiary warfare by setting my yard on fire this weekend.

#2-Discovered Blue Emu oil which has proven wonderful in reducing the itching caused by chiggers.

#3-Determined I truly hate chiggers with a passion. Much prefer ticks. At least I can see them.

#4-Continued work on a series of presentation plaques made of cherry with a trim of walnut and holly.

#5-Remembered my girlfriend's birthday and actually got her what she wanted, vice what I did at Christmas which was exercise my own initiative. Birthday was successful, unlike Christmas. :D
Eric,
You could try rubbing beer and sand on them. They get drunk and throw rocks at each other. :) No trouble with chiggers here. Our yards are burnt to a crisp.
I would like to get back to my outdoor patio table, but my SS is out of commission while I try to get the SS table either repaired or replaced. The upgrade to 520 should have been painless, but the table seems to be bent. Bummer.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Hi folks:

Just got back from a short vacation in the Rideau Lakes are of Ontario, and see there has been quite a bit of activity on the site.

Alan:

Best to do the large decorations outside if you can. I had to do two inside last December and I think there is still sawdust in the basement playroom.

I hope you enjoy the exchange student experience. We never did such a long one but on three ocassions had 16 - 17 year old hockey players from Sweden and it was a great experience. I think my daughter of roughly the same age REALLY enjoyed it.

Nick:

I wasn't able to catch the first show but have read the rave reviews. I hope I can catch some of the futrure ones or catch up via the website.

Eric:

We don't have chiggers here. I think it's too cold! I hope we get to see the presentation plaques when they are finished.

Have fun

John