Bearing Replacement help

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scollins
Gold Member

Bearing Replacement help

Post by scollins »

About a couple of months ago, my SS developed an occasional squeal. I have been following the oiling instructions in the manual. At the last oiling, we used a more advanced lube, which made a noticable improvement in the occurance of the squeal. Yesterday, I used the disc sander and later started to use it again, but it is basically locked up so I am assuming that the bearing is finally gone. I checked the belts and those are fine. The motor will spin the SS in slow motion and the shaft is difficult to spin by hand.

Before we tear it down, can someone confirm that these symptoms are due to a bad bearing. What parts will we most likely need? Is there a local source for the parts or is there something that has to come from SS? We are in a metro area so there are a number of machine shops, bearing supply sources, etc. If we know what we need and can find it local then it can be up and running in a day rather than waiting for parts to come in.

The serial # is 5324. What year is my machine and does it have a two bearing quill? If not, I would like to make the switch while it is apart.
--
The lube that I used on the last oiling was Duralube.

We have taken the belts loose and hand turned everything. Everything seems to move freely. The motor runs fine by itself, but does seem to make more noise than we think it should, but does not have the squeal that develops under load.
nsmith01tx
Gold Member

Serial Number & Mfg Date

Post by nsmith01tx »

According to the serial number look up page (http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/serialnumber.htm), your machine was made between 1973 & 1978.
I don't believe the 2-bearing quills were added until something like '85, so unless some previous owner upgraded it you have a single bearing quill.

Nathan
scollins wrote:The serial # is 5324. What year is my machine and does it have a two bearing quill? If not, I would like to make the switch while it is apart.
nsmith01tx
Gold Member

Post by nsmith01tx »

BTW, passing on some great info given to me by JPG40504: see sessions 11,21 thru 24 here, http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm

... before you think about taking it apart. The quill can be swapped out pretty much any time, so you don't really have to make it part of this job if you want to wait on that.

Nathan
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Just what 'advanced lube' did you use? It may be what is gumming things up.

I would not recommend anything but a light machine oil.

The motor bearings may have siezed.

You need to run it up to high speed(rotating the output shaft manually), remove the motor belt, and determine what is 'hard to turn'.

A Mark V has been assumed here!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
jimsjinx
Gold Member

Bearings

Post by jimsjinx »

If you can swing it, I'd highly suggest the 2 bearing swap and be done with it. I have a 10ER I used for years, and now a "gifted to me" 510. There is a noticable improvement in run out on the 2 bearing quill. I'm pretty new to the more modern SS, in fact I'm trading a member some accessories for a table. All I got was the SS, no table, no fence, no trunions.But I have an intimate relationship with the 10ER. Still a great machine! good luck with your rebuild, and enjoy! jimsjinx
If you are a part time band leader, does that make you a semi-conductor? Where do all the "unguided" bombs go?
patom
Silver Member

Sounds familiar

Post by patom »

I have similar symptoms from my Mk V. What Scollins described is almost the same as what my problem seems to be except that I didn't put any oil on the bearings, as they are supposed to be sealed bearings according to the paper work that I have. I hope someone can give me some tips on where to proceed from here. Thanks
patom
Silver Member

Post by patom »

scollins, I had the same symptoms that you described. The problem will probably be the fan sheave on the motor shaft. The set screw on mine had backed out and allowed the fan sheave to rub on the motor plate.