Bandsaw and Jointer Wall Storage

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

toddakrell
Bronze Member

Post by toddakrell »

I know that I can purchase aluminum Mounting Bases from Shopsmith but would like to build my own. Any ideas about where I can find plans for building wall storage shelves for a Shopsmith Bandsaw and Jointer? I'm rebuilding my workshop and need to get stuff off the ground.
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

toddakrell wrote:I know that I can purchase aluminum Mounting Bases from Shopsmith but would like to build my own. Any ideas about where I can find plans for building wall storage shelves for a Shopsmith Bandsaw and Jointer? I'm rebuilding my workshop and need to get stuff off the ground.
I have a SS publication called "Power Station Accessory Stand" It details how to make just what you want! Copyright is 1989. It looks like a four page brochure but it actually folds out into one big plan. The part# is 515923

This actually may be a little bigger than you need for just the bandsaw and jointer. If you just want the bases to hold the tools, drill 1 1/4 " holes in a 10" piece of 2x4 exactly 7" on center.

Hope this helps!
Alan

'Baking The World A Better Place' :)
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

toddakrell wrote:I know that I can purchase aluminum Mounting Bases from Shopsmith but would like to build my own. Any ideas about where I can find plans for building wall storage shelves for a Shopsmith Bandsaw and Jointer? I'm rebuilding my workshop and need to get stuff off the ground.

I built a simple 1x12 shelf about four feet long and drilled holes in it for the mounting posts. I then doubled up the wood in the area of the holes with more 1x12 stock about 6 inches long at the holes on the underneath side. Therefore the tools have about 1 1/2 inch thick holes to hold them secure. I then mounted the shelf on the wall with heavy duty shelf mounting brackets and it has served to hold my bandsaw and jointer for 20 years. It also holds my lathe tools, sanding disks, floating tables if they are not on the machine and fence if it also isn's on the machine and some extension cords. I had to add a small block of wood to hold the joint level, is a 2/4 on edge right under the infeed table.

I mounted the shelf over my hot water tank which put the height about about shoulder level. I have noticed as of late that hoist the bandsaw up there is becoming more challenging. I think I will remount it at about waist level here real soon. :)
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

toddakrell

If you have the Shopsmith user's manuals for your equipment, check them to see if they have the information that you need to build shelves for your jointer and bandsaw. I just checked my bandsaw, jointer and beltsander manuals and they all have a recommended shelf that you can build.

Once you look at these, you'll see that what ed in tampa and allancooke have recommended are very similar. Very functional and not difficult and not expensive.

Just remember that this equipment all together on one shelf is heavy. Build accordingly.

I built a 'bookcase like' shelf for mine. I did not heed that warning and my shelves are sagging. It's near time for me to rebuild (right). I no longer store my jointer on the shelf I built (no trust).:(
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
flashbacpt
Gold Member

Some Food for Thought

Post by flashbacpt »

My two cents worth...... Being a long time ShopSmith owner, and someone that can only work out in a crowded garage, I ask you to consider the following:

Walls units used to store ShopSmith Parts are fine for awhile but somehow "get in the way" over time, and if not built properly, problems, like described above, develop. They also cause you to lose that space! Since you say that you are "redesigning" your workshop, I urge you to consider the future that will most likely mean additional accessories that will take up space!

I had a wall unit that held my Bandsaw, and various accessories for a while. With purchases of additional accessories, etc., I was faced with additional "problems". First, I was out of room as far as wall space was concerned, and my original design could not be modified to accept the new accessories.

Second, the new accessories were taking up room, specifically on my work bench area, and I became somewhat frustrated having to constantly move items to free up my work bench area, or when changing operations on the ShopSmith.

My solution was a simple one that has served me well, allows for growth (additonal equipment), and does not clutter my workbench/assembly area. I put everything on WHEELS!

I first built a 5 drawer cabinet with a 27 1/2" square Torsion (sp?) top 1 1/2" thick, that is 30 1/2 inches high on wheels. This holds the Bandsaw on top of the table towards the back with a little space left over for whatever lands on it during a work session. The five drawers, (2 large, 3 semi large) hold a huge amount of SS parts, accessories, plus other wood working tools. I can easily move it anywhere that I want, creating "working room" that I never had before.

I then decided to improve my efforts, and take things to the next step with the focus being on utilizing every side of a cabinet like box. I built an open front box like cabinet (30 1/2"wide x 22 1/2" high), with a 1 1/2" torsion top (sp?) that is 49" wide x 36 1/2" deep, which overlaps the sides of the cabinet. With wheels added, this "cabinet" is 30 1/2" high.

On the left side of the cabinet, under the table top overlap, I built a saw blade rack that holds several saw blades, with room left over for future part "holders".

On the right side, again under the overlap, I built a simple rack to hold my SS Cross cutting sled.

On the back side, I used the SS wall hooks to hold all my extension tables and tubes.

On the top, I placed my Jointer along side of the back table edge, and my Belt Sander, leaving me with a fairly large table top space for anything that I might want to add in the future. Right now, the space allows me to place items during work sessions that would normally have landed on my work bench/assembly area.

With the open front area, I simply built three long drawers, two on the bottom, and the third rests on a "shelf" that is half way up one side. These drawers are not attached to anything, so that you can pull them out to take them with you, or gain easy access to items. Because they are long, and the space is open, I can place my lathe turning head stock, tool rests, sanding discs, sanding belts, and fences, etc. that normally would be difficult to find a safe place for them.

There was one last area that had bugged me, frustrated me, and actually hurt me several times. This was the area under the SS. Definitely a wasted space area! Many years ago, I had copied the SS wooden rack, and in a relatively short time, grew to dislike it. Me, being me,I found that it interfered with things, my shins seemed to always find the sharp corners of the various accessories,and there still was wasted space.

My solution was to carefully measure the entire wasted space area, keeping in mind different operations that are normally performed on the SS. From there, I built a two shelf cart on wheels, measuring 46 1/2" wide, 15 1/2" Deep, and 14 1/2" High on wheels. This holds practically everything needed from the SS Fence, Miter Gauge, sanding disks, SS Shop light, saw blades, blade guards push sticks, and similar accessories that one would be using during a work day.

With the wheels, if needed, you can easily move it to gain access to a part, or move it completely to another location.

As indicated above, putting everything on wheels is the key. In the worst case, you could move all three out into the driveway if needed!

Whatever you do, please take into consideration your "future needs"

Good luck in your design!:)
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Say flashbacpt could you post a picture of your storage unit? I am using a cabinet that I built 25 years ago for a microwave cart. I can put my bandsaw and jointer on it and I have one drawer below with two shelves below that.
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Oh and it is on wheels also:o
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

flashbacpt wrote:My solution was a simple one that has served me well, allows for growth (additional equipment), and does not clutter my workbench/assembly area. I put everything on WHEELS!
How about a few pictures? This sounds interesting but too hard to follow. Most of my accessories are on the under Shopsmith cabinet I built 25 years ago for my 500, when I upgraded to the 520 it no longer fits so it sits near a wall with my jointer, band-saw and strip sander on top.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Just gotta add that flashbacpt has beautifully described the best method for reducing shop clutter and and frustrations. WHEELS!

About the storage of accessories.- - I have the Shopsmith accessory Storage Station (555761). It is on the SS wheels (same casters as under the Mark V). I find that being able to move it to the Mark V or vice versa is a real back saver. The present price of the Storage Station seems pretty high, but if you have some spare change - it is a movable cart that earns it's keep in my shop. Maybe one might prefer to build their own mobile base - I would certainly recommend that over a shelf.

I have thought about making some hanging storage underneath the Storage Station, but fortunately, haven't been forced to do that yet. However always available as additional "storage space". The table of this "Station" seems like it is able to support quite a bit of weight.

I moved from a garage (at another residence) to a 16' by 20' shop building built here. There is a double door and only one very small window (like over a bathtub). I wanted all the wall space I could get. Did the electrical work myself, and had a plan where everything would go - allowed for plenty of electrical outlets in walls and four in the ceiling. However, after a lumber rack and a sheet goods storage that is 4'X8' and two workbenches -and a couple of wall storage units - I could see anything else had to go on wheels. Incidentally - I'm forever glad that I don't own tools that stand by a wall.

There is plenty of room when the shop is idle but after a project is begun, space for glue ups and assembly can become scarce.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Like Charlese, I have the Accessory Storage Station. It holds the bandsaw, jointer, and the extension table. I made a 16"x52" shelf that fits underneath the top storage surface and this holds a lot of additional accessories. With this storage station being on castors, I can move it next to my shopsmith, mount my tools, and then roll it back out of the way.

I used to have the bandsaw and jointer mounted on the wall but moving them to the Shopsmith was a real "back breaking" pain.