Weekly Blog - August 26th

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Well another mixed bag week.

On the home front, those pesky wasps are back in my soffit. With all the nasty stuff I have thrown at them, including this week, I think maybe they have earned the right to be there. However I will try one more time. I also started work on installing a new basement window. About four years ago, I purchased four windows from Lowes in Plattsburgh, N.Y. and installed two immediately. I now remember why I waited so long to start the third. It really isn't that hard, but I need to cut away about 1 inch from the bottom sill which is only 4 inches above ground level. Working on my knees at that level requires that I get up and move around every few minutes, or I may never get up. Ah, the pleasures of aging!

On the woodworking front I continued on several projects. I cut and rough sanded all the parts to the oak doll cradle so I could move on to the round overs. So far this project is progressing well, no more oopses yet!

I also gave the second and final coat of primary white paint to the outdoor decorations. But, my dear wife who had offered to help with the detail painting, decided that she was needed in Niagara Falls and disappeared for six days. She is back and started painting today so we are back on track with that project.

I also laminated and planed the blank for the jatoba/maple bread knife and then cut and rough sanded both the solid jatoba one and the laminated one. They are also ready for round overs but since getting the router table out of the furnace room and setting it up is a pain in the derriere, I was waiting for the cradle parts to be ready so I could do it all at once.

Looks like the coming week will also be pretty full.

Oh yeah, had my first hockey meeting so I guess summer is coming to and end.

Have fun!

John
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

john

Be thankful you can go onto your knees. My doctor has told me to never place weight on my knees.:( One of the shortcomings of some artificial knees of which I have two.

I'm just thankful I can walk and stand.:)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Dusty:

Sorry to hear that your knees are that bad. I guess I can't complain.

Some of the newer artificial joints seem to be really good. In fact several of the older (70's) chaps that I play hockey with are sporting new joints, (hips and knees), and I am amazed at their grit and determination as well as their mobility. Of course one chap has to be helped up whenever he falls but there is always someone willing to lend a hand, even his opponents.

When I'm with these guys I tend to shut-up about my own aches and pains.

All the best!

john
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

:) Thank you, John, but there is no need to have pity for me. I have been truely blessed. Five years ago, I was working the warehouse end of a communications installation job and it was all I could do to get up and down. I could hardly walk. Braces, leg raps and medication were all that kept me mobile.

I now have a few aches and some leg muscles that haven't returned to full strength but I am totally mobile (with restrictions as mentioned). No PAIN and no pain medication.

As I said, I am truely blessed. I make a mess in my shop nearly every day. I don't turn out anything that will win a ribbon but I have fun.:)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Lessee... Completed the presentation plaques, the fabrication part and finish, at least and am waiting on delivery of the brass plates so I can get them out of the shop. Took photos, too, and will upload them as soon as I can.
Got a new/old dog. Pretty crappy story. My folks bought a piece of property out here in SW MO in anticipation of their retirement in a couple of years. The folks that owned the property had a Scottish terrier in their back yard (you already know where this is going :mad: ). The property is about two miles from my place and I drive by there every day going to/from work. Anway, this past Sunday, I noticed the house was empty and stopped by to check it out. Well, as I suspected, the previous owners had moved to where ever it was they moved to. I walked to the back garage and saw the Scotty up on the back porch, looking a bit frazzled. I figured the owners were going to come back and get him. Well, one look in his food dish and water bowl was enough to tell me they left him there. It had rained about four days' prior. His food was moldy mush and there were mosquito larvae wiggling around in his water bowl. Needless to say, I went home, got some fresh food, came back, scrubbed out his food dish and replaced his nasty water. I managed to get hold of the realtor and I described the situation. She, in turn, got in touch with the previous owners who said they were going to take the dog in to the vet and have him put down as they didn't want him anymore. Suffice to say, I was just a bit ticked off. I can't stand people that treat animals as a disposable object (aka Michael Vick). As I've already got four dogs (two dumps on my road), four cats (all dumps on my road), a rabbit (wandered in through an open door and never left), and a bird (small Parrot thing: she hates me, I hate her, girlfriend loves bird, cease fire called), I was reluctant to bring another dog home. Called the girlfriend and told her the story. She told me to bring him on home. So, now I have five dogs. And a two-day old headache.
Oh yeah, the chiggers and I are still at war, but I think I've finally got them in retreat.
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

I really shouldn't post since Chuck probably doesn't have enough cheese and crackers to go with his w(h)ine AND mine:)

Between the triple digit temps. (and humidity), broken pumps, leaking wells, and a computer with the chiggers (or some kinda bug:confused: ), I haven't had much time for serious woodworking. I did manage to get some cleaning and organizing done, though, so I'll be better prepared this week. I'm hoping to start on an heirloom cradle and the talk about accessory shelves has convinced me to try converting a 3 shelf 18" deep X 48" wide rolling aluminum dunnage rack into an 'all-in-one' SS accessory cart. If it turns out like I'm envisioning, I'll post some pictures. If not, I'll order more cheese and crackers:) Have a blessed week!
Alan

'Baking The World A Better Place' :)
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I wasn't going to post this week either, but "What the Hey". The W(h)ine has stopped flowing out here, but the week has not been good for woodworking. After reading about others problems - guess I'm very fortunate!

After telling about my thorough cleaning of the inside and outside of the Mark V. in another post, and It almost made m cry when the first thing I sawed up were the two burned panels from the scorched shed. I was going to use the "Skill" saw, but it was too hot outside. So went into the A/C in the shop and whipped through that chore. The headstock sure sounds sweet though.

Also sprayed under and around the house to prevent another invasion of ants. We have only had some scouting parties since spraying last year. Guess it was getting about time.

I had to chuckle (knowingly) a bit at John's "getting Down" to do his basement window job. Sorry, John, but misery loves company.

Some folks may get a chuckle at this - especially after my rantings over too precise measurements & adjustments. Just had a birthday and my Sweet wife wanted me to get something for the time. When the Dial Indicators went on sale a few days ago - I jumped at one. (The almost $25 discount got to me) I've had a list of small replacement parts I needed, so ordered those too.

Times MUST be changing! I almost can't imagine a dial indicator in my shop. Hope I don't become one of the "very precise ones". Really! All I really needed was a new "Taper Screw" (501401) for the miter gauge. The old one developed rounded corners for the Allen wrench. Let me tell you- It is not a fun thing to get that thing out when frozen in the lock position. Had to use a small coal (or cold) chisel to move the screw enough to remove the miter assembly. Then it was a job for careful maneuvering with a vice grip. Things worked out well however.

For this week I am in the process of oil, grease and loving care for the motor home. Gotta get it ready for our trip to MT next month.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
tchwrtr55
Gold Member

Post by tchwrtr55 »

John, Dusty:

Kind of reminds me of a story my departed dad used to tell. Something about a man walking down the road (Biblical Times if I remember correctly) complaining about his feet hurting. Then he came upon a begger that had no feet.

I remind myself of that story occasionally. My first life was as a blacksmith/welder/metal fabricator. Back/knees/hips and a lot of arm twisting from my wife and doctor forced me to office work and woodworking hobbiest. Bigger projects revolve around getting my boys, friends and neighbors in to help.

I'm only in my 50's but I look at some others problems and still figure "ya, life is still good". I can still make a living, get out to my workshop, keep up my yard for the most part, and help with the house work. :D

Mark