Best Dado Set Question

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

royalcoachman
Bronze Member

Best Dado Set Question

Post by royalcoachman »

Hi,
I just purchased a very nice 510. I know I want a Dado set for it and have been looking around. Here are the ones I am considering:

SS Amana 6" for $128+ship (on sale now)
Freud SD208 8" for $95
Freud SD508 8" for $200 Note this is more than I want to spend but it sure looks like a great blade

What do you folks recommend? Is there another blade you would recommend?

Also, are there any problems using an 8" dado blade on the Shopsmith? Why do they only sell the 6"?

Thanks for your advice.

Jerry
michaeltoc
Gold Member

Post by michaeltoc »

royalcoachman wrote:
Also, are there any problems using an 8" dado blade on the Shopsmith? Why do they only sell the 6"?

Jerry
I have an old Craftsman 8" dado set and it works just fine. I think they now make 6" dado sets because most dados are not very deep, so why pay for an 8" blade when 6" will do just fine.

If you don't think you will ever make deep dados, then go with the Amana. Although the SD208 is cheaper, (and it is 8"), I would be hesitant because of the fewer teeth and it may not be adjustable (with the shims) to cut an undersize plywood dado.
Michael

Mark V Model 500 (1985) upgraded to 520 (2009) and PowerPro (2011); Bandsaw, Jointer, Jigsaw, Planer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

michaeltoc wrote:I have an old Craftsman 8" dado set and it works just fine. I think they now make 6" dado sets because most dados are not very deep, so why pay for an 8" blade when 6" will do just fine.

If you don't think you will ever make deep dados, then go with the Amana. Although the SD208 is cheaper, (and it is 8"), I would be hesitant because of the fewer teeth and it may not be adjustable (with the shims) to cut an undersize plywood dado.
The 8" require more horsepower for a given cut(depth,width)!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

I have the Freud SD208 and have been pleased with it. I have not used it with my Shopsmith though I have used other 8" sets with it. If depth of the dado was not an issue I would also consider the Freud 6" set from Amazon or others for around $85 delivered.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

royalcoachman wrote:Hi,
I just purchased a very nice 510. I know I want a Dado set for it and have been looking around. Here are the ones I am considering:

SS Amana 6" for $128+ship (on sale now)
Freud SD208 8" for $95
Freud SD508 8" for $200 Note this is more than I want to spend but it sure looks like a great blade

What do you folks recommend? Is there another blade you would recommend?

Thanks for your advice.

Jerry
OnlineToolReviews.com - Infinity Dadonator 8" Stacked Dado Set Review

I use the one above and it works great and yes it is expensive but does go on sale, you just need to be careful if you use the Shopsmith metal throat plate, I use the Shopsmith plastic ones and have cut them to fit the width I needed.

It is very, very heavy so you need to wait for the motor to spin up to full speed before you start the cut and make sure you have a good source of power.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
jonesuh
Gold Member

Post by jonesuh »

i have the Amana 6in. couldn't be happier
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

I've seen the old Shopsmith "adjustable dado" out there, as in this eBay listing. It says:

"Official SHOPSMITH adjustable Dado head. Nice shape. These are far superior to the stacking Dado cutters. First, the bottom of the cut is flat and smooth, unlike that achieved with a stacking dado. Second the width of cut can be dialed to any amount between 3/16 and 13/16. And finally, the adjustments can be made without removing the blade from the saw. "

Is this true? Are there other adjustable dado cutters out there that are preferable to stacked?
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

ddvann79 wrote:I've seen the old Shopsmith "adjustable dado" out there, as in this eBay listing. It says:

"Official SHOPSMITH adjustable Dado head. Nice shape. These are far superior to the stacking Dado cutters. First, the bottom of the cut is flat and smooth, unlike that achieved with a stacking dado. Second the width of cut can be dialed to any amount between 3/16 and 13/16. And finally, the adjustments can be made without removing the blade from the saw. "

Is this true? Are there other adjustable dado cutters out there that are preferable to stacked?
Although I *have* an old Shopsmith adjustable (or "wobble") dado blade, I have not used it. One of the adjustment screws is stripped.

I have used two other wobble blades, though. A newer "Oldham" brand that sucked. It was pretty much the opposite of everything said above. And I've used an old Craftsman wobble blade which was actually pretty decent. I use them for "construction" type projects - half lap joints on fence gates, etc. I wouldn't use them for "woodworking."

I have an Oshlun 6" stacked dado set which I really like and is my "woodworking" dado blade.

Based on my experience, a stacked set gives much better results.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ddvann79 wrote:I've seen the old Shopsmith "adjustable dado" out there, as in this eBay listing. It says:

Not true for my almost half century old one! Whatsaflat bottom?????

P.S. Nigh impossible to 'adjust' without the 'unique' square tool that moves the tapered wedges. Also it must be 'loosened' from the arbor to 'adjust'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
lelandschultz
Bronze Member

Dadonator 6"

Post by lelandschultz »

After doing much searching on reviews, I settled for the Infinity Dadonator 6". It was on sale and it has been a great!! Cut is very accurate and flat bottom. having the 6 tooth chippers makes the cuts smooth.
Leland