Hearing aids and ear protection

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dlbristol
Platinum Member

Hearing aids and ear protection

Post by dlbristol »

Last week I went to see the local VA. They confirmed what I already knew, I can't hear worth a hoot! A little present from my tour of Vietnam. ( LRRPs didn't wear hearing protection, no body did!) I have hearing aids coming and wondered if anyone has info on the best way to deal with these. Mine will be external behind the ear. I don't think my present ear " Muffs" will fit over the aids. I asked about just taking them off, they advised against it. Dust is not supposed to be an issue for the external part, but " could be in the ear". Any ideas?
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
oldc6
Gold Member

Post by oldc6 »

I have had the behind the ear type for about ten years now. They are real tough to get used to. When i got the first set, on the way out of the building i had to used the bathrom. Now, water hitting water, it was so loud i couldnt stand the noise. I guess the brain adjusts itself after a few days...I still have a lot of trouble when two or more are talking.. one on one is pretty good otherwise it is just a mumble......deaf in one ear and about 80% in the other. wear them for a week and just like glasses you will get used to them.. in the shop ,take them out and put on a shelf, and use the earmuffs..
If i do not wear them i cant hear anything.. So, wear them it is the lesser of two evils...........
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

I have the internal type of hearing aids. It did take a few months to get used to wearing aids, so give them a fair chance, don't give up too early. Little bothersome first impressions: you hear yourself chew. You tend to whisper to people, as your voice seems loud. Some sounds, (like my car radio) seem out of balance, in my case I hear too much bass while others think it is ok.
In the shop I do not wear the hearing aids. I can't hear with the tools on anyway, and I am afraid the dust or chemicals (thinner or oils) will damage the units. I am afraid that I will scratch my ear or head and contaminate the hearing aids.
I have a reasonably large case upstairs and downstairs to storing the aids. About the size of a compact camera case. I keep my aids in the case, batteries removed, whenever not in use. I found that if I don't remove the batteries when not in use, the batteries only last a few days. Removed at night or when in storage they last about 2 weeks.
I store my range ear protectors in the shop next to my face shield. Sadly I usually forget to use either most of the time.
Good luck with your venture into assisted hearing. Hope it goes as well for your as it is going for me.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

Thanks guys. I hope it works out well. I think it will, not like I have any other good choices. I am looking at some different muff type protection, but I will wait to actually try them on with the aids on.
Dave
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Fortunately, the shooting sports have provided the need and mass market to produce high quality and inexpensive hearing protectors.

My favorite is the Howard Leight electronic ear protector that I purchased from Cabelas. It runs on two AA batteries that don't seem to run out. It features a volume control that works both ears. This protector, which costs around $60, clamps out noise above 82 decibles. Since decibles are logarithmic, this is much better than competing models that advertise 85 decibles.

Woodworkers can do themselves a big favor by limiting the number and usage of tools that are powered by universal electric motors. Many of these tools have sound levels above 90 dBA. At this level, near the threshold of pain, hearing loss is greatly accelerated.
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

Thanks, I did not know the scale was not linear! That is very good to know. It explains some price differences that I am seeing. $25 difference for 4-5 DB difference seems a lot more reasonable now. I hope to try some on over my aids when I get them. I will go back to my chains saw muffs for a first test fit.
Dave
dlbristol
Platinum Member

I can hear !!!

Post by dlbristol »

Day 3 with the new hearing aides and so far they are fine. They are light, small and very comfortable. I have a " cauliflower ear" and thought it might be a problem. Not so! The digital technology is great. Mine are programmed for an automatic " response" to the setting I am in, but you can program in 12 specific settings for things like one on one conversation, conversation in a loud setting, music, in gym , ect. They have a remote that allows me to change volume, or select programs if I decide to use them later. Some things were a bit disconcerting at first, but I seem to be adjusting quickly to those things.
I sure don't see any reason not to get these if you might need them. I will not wear them in the shop much. Dust is an issue, they actually have a filter that covers the pick up " microphone" and it has to be cleaned every year in normal use. VA and manual advise against use in heavy dust if possible. I have a new set of quality Muff style protectors on the way.

I ought to thank the folks at the local VA medical center as well. Quick, friendly and professional service. I have been critical if I thought it was appropriate, but this has been first class service and help from the beginning. They had all my records ready and it was a simple matter to get things done. Could not have asked for more.:)
Dave
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

What did you say? I can't hear you. I haven't heard "worth a hoot" either for over 40 years since I spent a year in Vietnam with an artillery battery.
drl
Gold Member

Post by drl »

Dave,
I'm happy to hear that you have hearing aids that are working for you. I should look into getting aids. Can you mention the brand or manufacturer of your hearing aids. They sound very flexible in different enviroments.
Regards,
Dwight
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

drl wrote:Dave,
I'm happy to hear that you have hearing aids that are working for you. I should look into getting aids. Can you mention the brand or manufacturer of your hearing aids. They sound very flexible in different enviroments.
Regards,
Dwight
Be prepared for 'sticker shock'!:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange