Crosscut/Panel/Miter Sled

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but on Ebay item # 280148645926 there is offered for sale a very interesting Crosscut/panel/mitre sled.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... osi_widget

I was wondering if anyone had bought this sled and/or if anyone has built one similar to it? If so tells us about it.

I think the sled is a perfect for a SS because of the replaceable kerf inserts which they mention in the write up. I also like the idea of being able to use it for box joints and I'm sure there are other uses.

If you haven't seen it try the link if that doesn't work go to Ebay.com and search on 280148645926.

please post your impressions and your opinion of the sled and any ideas for other uses.

Ed
alaskanexile
Gold Member

Post by alaskanexile »

Ed,
Haven't bought one yet but, it's sure nuff on my wish list. Looks like the read deal.
Roger
dickg1
Gold Member

Post by dickg1 »

Wow! I've look at a number of ready builts and plans. I have not seen one that I could buy or build for the price with the features demonstrated. Unless someone comes up with some definite negatives, this one is on my buy list for this month.

Dickg1
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Ed in Tampa wrote:...
Please post your impressions and your opinion of the sled and any ideas for other uses.
Ed
O.K. Here's my idea(s) regarding a sled and a miter sled.

When I miter, I almost always do 45 deg's. Occasionally, a few 22.5's. Since I have a Shopsmith "Miter Pro" for 45s and it is flawless, and since I've never cut a 45 on a panel, there is no need for a 45 deg. sled.

Incidentally, the Miter Pro is on a special via E-mail.

When cutting 22.5 degrees I find the SS miter gauge quite adequate for the 2 to 3 inch boards I cut at that angle. (Picture frames- no panels)

When I use a sled, it is for cutting square panels. Therefore I find my homemade sled (which cuts perfectly square) is adequate for my needs. It cost little to make (maybe $10) and lasts for a few years. I got the "knowledge" to build this sled from the New Yankee Workshop" (I happened to tape his two shows on Jigs. There are tapes and plans of these shows available from http://www.newyankeeworkshop.com There is an alphabetical listing of projects. This one is called "Jigs" Maybe it is almost as good as Nick's book on Jigs.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

My thoughts are Wow! Great design. Looks like it is very versitile. I find it very hard to not use a sled ever since I started. My first was an self-built one that did not have anything like this one's capabilities and I used it all the time. If I had not already purchased the Incra Mitersled 5000, I would probably buy this one. (It is USA made!)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I went out and looked at the system they have. It does look interesting! It is some what of a platform system. Being able to put the part in to cut 45 deg parts, the finger joint idea, the slots for added clamping...

I sure wish I could see one in real life to see just how they did some of the things... the replaceable insert looks like a nice feature especially if doing dado cuts. It was unclear to me how this works on the ends, like when doing the finger joints???

I would think most people here could take what they see and make something close to that if they wanted to. In other words I don't see any magic to it.

I'm still waiting on the miter-express I ordered back in early June... still backorder I was told. That will have a few advantages over this jig in some respects but then this jig will have a few plus features over the incra. While on the incra subject have you been to the site and seen the Jigs and Fixture components they now offer?
http://www.incra.com/product_buildit_main.htm

No mention of bars for the shopsmith... but since they have the two versions of the miter system maybe those pieces would work???

If anyone does get this please let us know more about it and how it works for you.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Both of these look really impressive, especially the Incra version. However, I wonder how long they would really retain their value as a precision device on the Shopsmith with its tilting table and adjustable quill.

It seems to me that one would have to recheck the table and the quill every time the sled is put back on the SS. This is not terribly bad, in itself. The problem occurs when one fails to complete this check accurately.

Now I know that some of you, maybe many of you, never do dumb things like that but I do.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:Both of these look really impressive, especially the Incra version. However, I wonder how long they would really retain their value as a precision device on the Shopsmith with its tilting table and adjustable quill.

It seems to me that one would have to recheck the table and the quill every time the sled is put back on the SS. This is not terribly bad, in itself. The problem occurs when one fails to complete this check accurately.

Now I know that some of you, maybe many of you, never do dumb things like that but I do.
Dusty I think this is beauty of the Crosscut/panel/mitre sled I referrenced. One oops doesn't destroy the sled you merely replace the replacable kerf pieces and try again.

To me that has been the weak spot of every sled, mitre gauge and etc. sold for the SS so far. Each one seemed to ignore the fact that SS saw blade could move right or left depending on headstock and arbor position. If you opps'ed any previous sled you widened the kerf and if done enough times virtually eliminated any benefit of zero clearance. On this sled when the kerf gets widened either intentionally or by accident you merely remove the old kerf pieces and install new.

The thing I wish is SS would have manufactured and sold this themselves. It seems like those in SS R&D aren't thinking of things that normal woodworkers want, things I consider basic. A while back there was some talk about an outfeed table that raised and lowered with the main table. I personally believe SS is missing the boat every time another day goes by that they haven't brought this to market.
Ed
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

reible wrote:I went out and looked at the system they have. It does look interesting! It is some what of a platform system. Being able to put the part in to cut 45 deg parts, the finger joint idea, the slots for added clamping...

I sure wish I could see one in real life to see just how they did some of the things... the replaceable insert looks like a nice feature especially if doing dado cuts. It was unclear to me how this works on the ends, like when doing the finger joints???

I would think most people here could take what they see and make something close to that if they wanted to. In other words I don't see any magic to it.

I'm still waiting on the miter-express I ordered back in early June... still backorder I was told. That will have a few advantages over this jig in some respects but then this jig will have a few plus features over the incra. While on the incra subject have you been to the site and seen the Jigs and Fixture components they now offer?
http://www.incra.com/product_buildit_main.htm

No mention of bars for the shopsmith... but since they have the two versions of the miter system maybe those pieces would work???

If anyone does get this please let us know more about it and how it works for you.

Ed
Ed
I think this new offering by INCRA is simply brilliant! If I read it right you can get the basic building pieces and assemble them into various jigs and fixtures you have need of without having to worry where your going to store another jig/fixture.

I don't know about you but my wall space is nearly used up with hanging jigs/fixtures I commonly use in my shop.

If nothing else the t-slot connectors are ideal to use to build nearly any jig/fixture used on a table saw. I haven't been able to find out prices yet but if they are reasonable (not trying to pay all R&D costs with one item) I will probably buy at least two connectors to build my own sleds and such.

Right after I posted this I found the prices on Woodcraft. I think the prices perhaps are a little high but not so much to make them out of line. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20317
Ed
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Got one....

Post by chiroindixon »

I have apparently a prototype model of the sled that started this thread. After watching David Marks use a similar sled...I wanted one. I bought it used off eBay last year for $50, seeing it was cheaper and easier than building my own. No brand name is affixed but I'm sure it's an older version.

It works well....I have a Miter Pro but like the ease of these hold downs better. It did come "dead on" both as a miter and crosscut sled and with two miter bars, there is no slop. It's heavy too, so it does not jump around...Very steady.

I also like being able to sight straight down the kerf line rather than standing to the side but I did modify mine with the addition of a removable clear plexiglas guard. This old soldier gets nervous when in the direct line if fire. I'd say put one of these on the newer model also....

The new version differs from mine in several ways. I like the new aluminum tracks running fore-aft rather than my one running left and right, along with the aluminum track at the rear. My tracks are all milled/routed into the wood itself, no aluminum...

The replaceable kerf pieces are a great idea. I'll have to scratch my bald spot to figure out how to modify or repair this kerf line should I bugger it up. Dusty and I went to the same school of "Learning by Mistake".

The cutoff stop that extends from the rear is another feature lacking on mine but I do have it on my Dubby. (I have several sleds to include a Shopsmith);)

What does puzzle me is the conversion to a panel sled. I have studied the photo and my version and cannot figure how they tied the two lead edges together after removing the front bar....nor where the miter bar had to shift to....(Take both off, then move one on the left?) Here's where I break out my SS version. But their version claims to work....

Another modification required, albeit for longer stock, are one, or two "Auxiliary Tables"...(modeled after SS 555526) to keep stock and cutoffs level and prevent saw binding. I made two in about ten minutes.

All being said....this Appalachia Tools version is a must buy, especially if you have not anted up for the various other toys. Compared to costs of a Miter Pro, Crosscut sled and panel sled....this is a bargain for sure. Check the price of that track lately?....Or the knobs and other hardware? Having made other sleds myself, the cost, time and patience sometimes is best left to someone else.

If you leave your Mark V basically parked in "Saw Mode" like I do, this baby would pretty much take up permanent residence on the table top....Oh...and your miter saw would gather dust.

AND Keeping in line with some other threads....."This baby is a Quality Product..Made Proudly In USA ... by what looks to be a small shop of good old boys....like most of us."

Doc