Presentation Plaques

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ericolson
Gold Member

Presentation Plaques

Post by ericolson »

Well, here they are, more or less. These lare photos of a series of plaques I made for the various business and people that helped recognize our local Marine Reserve unit at a Springfield Cardinals ballgame (AA, farm team for the S. L. Cards).
The production series are made of cherry with walnut and holly trim. The individual plaques is walnut with sycamore plugs, inlaid in shallow arcs on the four corners.
I've recently completed another plaque for a retiring Sergeant Major. I went a different route with his and, tiring of engraved plates, took the blank to a guy I know that has an industrial laser engraving machine in his garage. WOW!! I'm never using brass plates again!! It's in the finish stage right now, so no photos yet. I'm also dealing with clouding laquer, which is really irritating. I hadn't used laquer in so long that I had forgotten that, in high humidity, it clouds up and turns a milky white. So, I've had to repeatedly sand it down and am now going to use a water-based gloss spray polyurethane. Shouldn't have the cloudy problem anymore. I'm not a big fan of poly as I much prefer either tung oil and beeswax or laquer, but I'm on a deadline and I can't play around with this anymore. I'll post photos of it when complete.

Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Nice job!

I'm sure the recipients will appreciate the plaque and the work that went into them.

John
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Nice job:)
brado
Bronze Member

Nice work

Post by brado »

As a shop owner and a former Jarhead my self, Im sure there going to love them...I hope my projects will get the same results...
Brad