My Shop (lots of photos)

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ericolson
Gold Member

My Shop (lots of photos)

Post by ericolson »

I've finally taken photos of my shop. It's a pole barn with a concrete floor. I've been in it for over two years now and my original goal of insulating it and installing the woodstove I bought have been much delayed. Those goals have turned into a "one of these days" priority. Probably this winter when I'm freezing my a** of again!! Right now, I've got too much work to be able to shut down Rock Creek Designs for more than a few days! Yeah, too much woodworking, it's rough. Deadlines do suck, but the money doesn't.
My lumber stash on the north wall consists of cherry and walnut boards and cherry slabs from my sawyer. The lumber you see stacked and stickered is hickory and walnut I milled myself from trees that came down in my yard during the January ice storm. I haven't had time to work on everything that came down on my back six acres (all forest). Plus, there's the damn chiggers and I'm waiting till the leaves come down and the first freeze before I go tromping around in that scrub!! The mess of stock you see in the middle of the floor is the old oak and walnut flooring from my kitchen and dining room. No way was it going to the landfill. I spend downtime pulling nails and will be planing and trimming it all. My intent is to use it for herringbone pattern ceiling paneling on my covered front porch. Should look nice.
The east wall has my jointer, planer, shaper, 30" bandsaw, radial arm saw, Unisaw, and Goldie SS. This is my primary machinery area. As you can see, almost everything is covered in plastic bags due to the humidity in my shop. I've never really had a rust problem, just takes the usual waxing on my maintenance days, but I figure why take the chance?
As I'm sure you all deal with, my shop is in a constant state of improvement. But, even uninsulated, it's a heck of a lot nicer having a separate building for my shop than a two-car garage!! I did that for many years and am now completely spoiled with a separate shop building!

Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

For years I have been trying to convince my beloved that we should move to the country so I could have a shop like yours. I still dream of a shop large enough to store all my tools AND a good supply of wood and with a LARGE assembly area.

However, I find that half the time I can't find what I am looking for in my small shop so I can't imagine ever finding anything in a REAL shop.

Have fun and ENJOY it.

John
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

John;

I know exactly what you mean. I've still got a lot of hand tools and finishing supplies in the plastic bins they were packed in for my move from California to Missouri. I'm always looking for something or other and, if I can't find it, I end up buying another one. Inevitably, I'll find that which I was looking for to begin with. A never ending cycle.
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Nice digs, Eric!

You've certainly done well in the last couple of years, coping with what would have become tragedies for others and turning them into your going concern.

It was nice to see photos of your shop and especially the stickered hickory and oak. Guess I'm psychologically attached to the stickered stuff as we were in on it from the get-go.

One super thing I like about your barn is, you are not overloaded with windows. This gives more wall space. The large garage door (South wall) also looks like it gives good ambient light on good days. By the way, do you have another "walking sized" door on the East side of the North wall? Thought I noticed light coming from somewhere to the N. side of the East wall.

Also, by the way, I certainly remember running across chiggers, as a kid in Northern Illinois. When I got to MT. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw folks sitting on lawns without a blanket below them. When I asked, "Aren't you bothered by chiggers?" They answered, "What're chiggers?"

Any way the best fix for the bites my Mom gave us was fingernail polish put over the bites. Stings for a second or two, but kills the little buggers. I Think they get smothered.

Thanks again for the photos!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Chuck;

I didn't mention that I've got a double sliding glass door on the north wall. With the bay door open and the slider open, I get a nice cross breeze that helps keep it cool in the summer. I've only got four windows: two on the east and two on the left. I'd like to remove a couple of roof panels and install skylights, but that's for another day. Now I'm working on my insulation plan. Since I took those photos, the Unisaw has a new owner and my GF got me an industrial shelving unit which has really helped me get organized. Additionally, I drove home with a truck load of industrial florescent lights. My building went green and had all of the light fixtures replaced with low-E fixtures. The dozens of old ones were being loaded into a big dumpster. I got my hands on more than a few, so now I'm also working on a new lighting plan. And there's my woodstove I need to install... And, and, and. One of these days!!
Eric
Rock Creek Designs