Weekly Blog - September 9th

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Weekly Blog - September 9th

Post by john »

Well it seemed like a slow week in the shop. That's probably because so much time was spent sanding and the doll cradle is still not quite finished.

Having said that, the cradle did finally get a coat of stain and the first coat of wipe-on ploy on all the pieces. Boards for the CD cabinet were edge glued and planed to thickness so that I can start routing the facing edge and rabbet for the back panel. I'm struggling with a mechanisim for hanging it, don't know whether to use metal keyhole type hangers or try a wedge that runs along the top of the back. I also cut two more bread knives, one solid maple and one with oak laminated between two pieces of jatoba.

I usually participate in two craft shows each fall, one at a local high school and one at a seniors' residence. This year I am contemplating going back to making toy cars and trucks along with other toys. These were popular to look at earlier, but not easy to sell, ( I mistakenly thought every Grandpa would buy one for the grandkids). However, with all the fuss about the "made in China" recalls, I'm wondering if this is a good time to get back into it. The "kid" in me really likes making toys!

Oh yeah, the basement window is installed and caulked. Now all I have to do is pretty up the inside framing.

This coming week may be a wash-out as I am told we may be leaving for Niagara Falls on Wednesday for several days, depending on whether my grandson gets his tonsils removed on Tuesday. It seems Grandma is needed!

Have fun and work safely!
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

First of all - Congratulations on almost finishing your basement window! Now for just a little paint. With all the things, you've got on your plate -- it has to feel good to finish up on a chore like the window.

My shop time has come to a screeching halt. Last thing after getting the first plantation shutter to go together properly and work, I had to get on with honey do's. So far it has been two maybe more like three weeks. The only shop time I got in was building a travel cage for my wife's old and crippled pet critter.

Been getting the motor home all fixed up and pretty. All systems are now working and the outside polishing is getting done. The polishing always takes about a week to do. Seems I only work in the AM as it gets to triple digit temps by noon.

We will be pulling out for MT next Sunday for wife's 50th anniversary of graduation from nurse's training. This will be an enjoyable reunion for both of us. As it happened, my buddies in college all married nurses from the same class. One the reunion will include my wife's maid of honor and my best man. I'm really amazed at how many of us are still around and have been married 50 years. This sojourn will take a whole 2 weeks.

Then - It's back to fun in the SHOP!

I've had good luck with both hanging systems you mentioned. Key holes from my shop are best used for lighter hangings and the wedges are for cabinets etc.

I'm surprised that wooden toys are not real good sellers. Wonder if Grandpas are buying electronic stuff for their heirs. As eluded to in other threads, maybe the wooden ones are just not high tech enough for many. Seems like a shame too! Wood toys are great for younger ones like pre-school ages. I wouldn't worry about the lead paint scandals. Folks should know that your toys are home made. I'm going to ask around these parts, as several vendors at our local fair had wooden trucks, trains, and such for sale. As of now - don't have any feeling of how they did.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Chuck:

I don't have a "honey-do list" but in June, I did start making a list of outdoor items that needed attending to this summer. It quickly grew to two pages and about 35 items, of which only about half are done and fall is quickly approaching. Oh well summer will be here again next year!

I always keep a lot on my plate because as mentioned I get bored doing the same thing for any length of time but then I am like a kid with a lot of vegetables on his plate, I pick at them and push them around for a while before finishing them.

One of the reasons for the delay with the window was because I have the reverse situation from you. The sun and I don't get along so my work time was mostly restricted to late afternoon or early evening when that portion of the house was in the shade. I don't know what I would do if I lived in your neck of the woods with all that heat!

As for the toys, the trucks etc, got lots of ooh's & aah's but as mentioned they were a hard sell as they had no bells, whistles, or flashing lights. One of my signs read "Powered by Imagination - No Batteries required". That provoked a few comments.

I also made puzzles for both kids and adults and these sold well, especially the "letter" puzzles. These are just 4 to 9 pieces that when put together form a letter of the alphabet. These are lots of fun at a party or family gathering, especially after a few glasses of wine. They are a staple at any of my craft shows. If anyone is interested, I can try to post a couple of patterns.

Lastly, I hope you and your wife enjoy the trip! Fifty years of marriage, friendships or anything, is worth celebrating. Have a good and safe journey.

John
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

Well, not much woodworking this week. I spent most of my free time putting together 2 new tree stands and getting ready for deer season. We're blessed here in S.C. with a very long season. I went yesterday morning, but only saw a few does.

I did manage to work on my 'All-in-one' SS cart. I'm sure I'll refine it several times:) but I posted a few pics. anyway.

I bought several of these rolling dunnage racks at a grocery store auction several years ago for $80.00 each. I don't think you could buy the casters for that new.

Please ignore the messy shop. Getting organized usually requires getting junky first:)
Attachments
sscart1.jpg
sscart1.jpg (80.24 KiB) Viewed 10186 times
sscart2.jpg
sscart2.jpg (94.8 KiB) Viewed 10184 times
sscart3.jpg
sscart3.jpg (78.17 KiB) Viewed 10185 times
sscart4.jpg
sscart4.jpg (93.94 KiB) Viewed 10188 times
Alan

'Baking The World A Better Place' :)
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Alan - nice innovation- excellent application - I always knew bakers were smart!

I'm sure you will be well served by this cart. I particularly like the manner in which you can store various accessories.

Thanks for the photos!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Alan:

I echo Chuck's sentiments, nice thinking! That's another good thing about this site, it shows how creative SS user's are.

Have fun.

John