Miter-Pro questions

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Miter-Pro questions

Post by reible »

Hi,

I have an upcoming project that will have me making a bunch of picture type frames and since I haven't done any of those in say 8-10 years I decided to take advantage of the sale and get the miter-pro. Now that I've ordered it I'm wondering if I should have ordered the additional 24" gauge extension (555429)?

I know some of you have the miter-pro already, so did you purchase the extension or do you wish you did?

I own the 20" miter gauge extension (556005) does anyone know if that might fit the miter-pro? That has some holes on-top but I have no idea what they are for. I checked the paper work that came with it but it doesn't say...

The frames I'm going to start on are smaller but in the future I've got some larger ones I want to do. Maybe as soon as Dec if the weather holds out in IL.

Ed
chiroindixon
Gold Member

It'll fit....

Post by chiroindixon »

The OLD Style20" extension is the same as the long leg on the Miter Pro. At either end you will see three holes. The first two line up to mount the extension to the right angle fixture. So you can have two 20" legs on your new toy. I see in the newer catalog the current 20" offered is different. The 24" is the same style as my old 20".

The elongated holes on the top are for the attachment and positioning of the "adjustable stop blocks", a/o 45 degrees to help hold the workpiece in position. Look closely at the Miter Pro picture. Use them whenever you can.

The Miter Pro works great for what you are doing....providing you have milled your stock straight and square....

Right now I am spending a lot of time doing the crown and floor moldings in a bathroom without single square corner....My Miter Pro is no help here. Every cut is a nibble cut at 44/46 degrees and a slight inside compound cut.

Whew....I'm doing a lot of walking back and forth from project to shop....Looking good...but it's going slow. As long as SWMBO is happy.....

Doc
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have the newer version of the 20" extension. It has two holes in the top, looking at the front of it they are to the right and the hole spacing is 4".

When I look at the pictures in the catalog it is not clear how this might work with the miter-pro... and in fact it may not??

I guess I'll hold off until I have the miter-pro in hand, then I can see if this extension might fit, and see what I think of it before spending more money.

All of my picture frame work over the last years has been with my miter box saws. I'm really happy with how they work but right now I have no space to have them set up which means I have to pull them out and set them up somewhere then take it all apart again and slide them back in a cabinet. The shopsmith would normally be out to size the stock anyway so if this works well then that will save me some effort.

Working on houses is quite a different thing. I still do it the old way and actual try and make the corners fit... and use wood, and lots of it. My son's new house has almost no trim, I guess that is how is done now and it does have a different look and feel to it, so, was it for style or to lower the builders costs???

Ed
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Ed-

Doc said it all - You bet it'll fit. One other thing - Hope you got or will get the stick-on sandpaper for your miter pro. These pieces are invaluable for true miters.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I was just looking back at some outstanding orders I have... and this is not limited to shopsmith but today happens to be two months to the day since I ordered my miter pro. When I ordered my miter express it also took a very long time......

And just behind that is a major order to another tool company, and that has been 6 weeks... but they said my item was shipping on Monday.

I guess the good way to look at it is since I am out of money in my tool budget (for about 6 weeks now) I still have things coming to play with... almost like I was still buying tools. Of course I will have to explain to SHMBO that these are old orders... she has been talking about us taking a year off from buying "extra" things (meaning tools) so I have get a few more projects done off her list before this goes to far.

The bad news is that I have put the project off as long as I dare so I have to get started tomorrow without the miter pro. I think I'll use the miter express and see how that works for me.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

So my wait is over. Sitting at my door was my miter pro! Only a 10 week wait....

I have to say I am a bit disappointed.

Both the "long extension" part 515933 and the "fence stop" 515935 of this shows a lack of basic quality. The pieces were shear cut and the edges are sharp...... with burrs. The finish is brushed and not all that good a job of that.

I will say the "short extension" is more in line with what I expected. The sharp edges are broken and it is anodised.

I'd like to hear from some other owners to see if this is what they put up with or did they "tune" up theirs or do I just have bad product????

I will also be sending this information to shopsmith for their response.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Miter-Pro questions

Post by dusty »

What you are reporting is NOT good news. We can only hope that this is a fluck and NOT a sign of quality issues to come.

Attempting to work-off a significant backlog list with a reduced manufacturing staff often results in taking shortcuts. Shortcuts in the manufacturing process naturally lead to quality issues.

What I am certain of is that if you contact Shopsmith they will make it right. I am so glad to hear that you plan to do just that. Only by being told can Shopsmith do anything about this.

I went out to look at my Miter-Pro but the results really are not applicable as my Miter-Pro was manufactured years ago and has been in use for years. I certainly don't recall what it was like when new. I'm no expert but I believe the fences are also shear cut but there are no burrs (and I don't believe ever were).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

reible wrote:So my wait is over. Sitting at my door was my miter pro! Only a 10 week wait....

I have to say I am a bit disappointed.

Both the "long extension" part 515933 and the "fence stop" 515935 of this shows a lack of basic quality. The pieces were shear cut and the edges are sharp...... with burrs. The finish is brushed and not all that good a job of that.

I will say the "short extension" is more in line with what I expected. The sharp edges are broken and it is anodised.

I'd like to hear from some other owners to see if this is what they put up with or did they "tune" up theirs or do I just have bad product????

I will also be sending this information to shopsmith for their response.

Ed
Hi Ed! I had a couple of sharp corners that a file too care of quickly. Forgot about it until you post. Brushed finish - yes! I rather like the brushed finish on my extensions, and stop. Never even thought of it before your post, but it's a non-slip finish. Didn't have any problem with the stop! Have used the wooden block in both configurations. (angled and flat) I didn't experience any burrs.

Your earlier post reminded me of one of my favorite cartoons. Picture a guy standing in front of an awful - uneven - leaning bookshelf. The caption says "His bookcase finished, Chuck only has to complete a million more projects to justify the cost of his tools?

I'm pretty sure you will like the results from using the miter pro. Hope so anyway! Did you see the "Cheap version" that is one of Rocklers new tools?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

charlese wrote:...Your earlier post reminded me of one of my favorite cartoons. Picture a guy standing in front of an awful - uneven - leaning bookshelf. The caption says "His bookcase finished, Chuck only has to complete a million more projects to justify the cost of his tools?...

I wrote off the cost of my Shopsmith on the FIRST project I made - a frame to hold the certificate I received when I took the basic woodworking class at the Shopsmith store (yes my machine is that old!) where I bought it. That $1,300 frame still hangs in my shop. LOL:D
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

The latest update is I have an RMA number and this one is going back and a new one is coming... and someone is going to look at it before it gets shipped. I'm hoping this is going to make me happy.

And, just to be clear the burr is on the edge towards the table and would be scaping the wax off the table top mode. A standard note on drawings is "break sharp edges" How ever if this was once a anodized part the finish tends to build at these locations and everything would have been fine... Now I guess but if and when going to a brushed finish this area should have been "fixed" with a note on the drawing to break the edge.

Chuck, yes I have seen the Rockler version, and I also noted that the shopsmith one has "patent pending". Wonder what the status of that is?

Ed