How much sawdust have you found?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

damagi
Platinum Member

How much sawdust have you found?

Post by damagi »

I am always amazed at the ammounts of sawdust in some of the older machines that come through my hands...mostly because I would have thought people would stop using the machine before it got to that point. I suppose its a testament to the quality of shopsmiths that they can still be at least somewhat functional in spite of being treated so badly.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

damagi wrote:I am always amazed at the ammounts of sawdust in some of the older machines that come through my hands...mostly because I would have thought people would stop using the machine before it got to that point. I suppose its a testament to the quality of shopsmiths that they can still be at least somewhat functional in spite of being treated so badly.
Shopsmiths always reminds me of the old Timex slogan: Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I quickly learned to disassemble any acquired headstock without checking the operation to prevent any additional damage. This includes all the headstock rebuilds I do. The excessive noise from the seized bearings & shafts, stuck belts, damaged, broken and missing parts had to be loud for many of these headstocks. Maybe to the point where they quit using the Shopsmith. Most of these headstocks still operated at a reduced speed range or even a single speed.

I believe the lack of no lubrication over years of use caused most of these problems. I find most of the sellers that I acquired the headstock from had no idea if or when the headstock was last cleaned of sawdust/crud or was lubricated. I try to include a bottle of "Zoom Spout Turbine Oil" with each headstock rebuild job I do.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

I would love to find a local source of the Zoom Spout Oil. The only placxe I found it near me was Grainger and you have to have an account to purchase from them I know i tried.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
jcraigie
Platinum Member

Post by jcraigie »

You can get it from http://www.zoomspoutoiler.com/ they are $8 for two bottles including shipping.
1984 Mark V 500 and an early 1954 greenie. jointer, belt sander, bandsaw, jigsaw, planner.

Jeff
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

This winter I opened up the headstock for the first time on my Shopsmith. My Dad bought it new in 1981, and gave it to me around 1989. I've been happily sawing wood with it ever since. This winter I finally broke the plastic coupler in the quill and had to tear it apart.
I was amazed at how little sawdust was inside it from 30 years of hard use. There was almost no loose sawdust inside it, and very little built up sawdust on the parts inside.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I think they need to modify their advertisement as follows.

Zoomspout Oilers are used by HVAC technicians, maintenance personnel, mechanics, schools and universities, fleet maintainers, contractors, facilities managers, the U.S. military, refrigeration technicians, homeowners, Shopsmith owners and millions of other satisfied users the world over!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

wannabewoodworker wrote:I would love to find a local source of the Zoom Spout Oil. The only placxe I found it near me was Grainger and you have to have an account to purchase from them I know i tried.
My TrueValue hardware store had it locally.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wannabewoodworker wrote:I would love to find a local source of the Zoom Spout Oil. The only placxe I found it near me was Grainger and you have to have an account to purchase from them I know i tried.

It is a cash sale! Ask the 'clerk' to use somebody's account number(one that purchases by cash). That was offered to me when I 'tried'. I have never been 'refused'. Of course it may help that I arrive with correct stock numbers!:D

FWIW they have also 'special ordered' items for me!

Maybe you need to remove thyself from the north east coast!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

JPG40504 wrote:It is a cash sale! Ask the 'clerk' to use somebody's account number(one that purchases by cash). That was offered to me when I 'tried'. I have never been 'refused'. Of course it may help that I arrive with correct stock numbers!:D

FWIW they have also 'special ordered' items for me!

Maybe you need to remove thyself from the north east coast!
Man you are a lotta help.............:) Move from the NE I already moved from the left coast back to here about 18 years ago and now you want me to move back again. I am sure my daughter and granddaughter would be your biggest fans JPG as they have been trying to convince me to do that for years. I may have to go back to that Grainger Store and try your cash trick just wave the greenies at em' and say here is the item number please retrieve said item for me thank you!
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
fiatben
Platinum Member

it works here

Post by fiatben »

Our local Grainger will set you up as a cash account with almost no paperwork other than a name, address and phone number, and they'll send you that monster catalog of theirs every year.
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.