Jointech sawtrain for shopsmith

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Anyone own one of these? Mostly interested in the version for the 520 but any useful comments are welcome.

BTW they are on sale and I'm thinking about buying one but I have never seen it in action nor do I know anyone who has one to ask them about it.

Oh yea, if you know of another system like this (Incra or other) with less/more features and equal or lower cost please post about that too.

Ed
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

Hi Ed,

I have the Sawtrain for the 520 Shopsmith. I haven't used it as much as I'd hoped when I first bought it but that's not because it doesn't work. I've just had way to many other projects get in the way. I originally had the Sawtrain for the 500. Then I found a great deal on a 510 which I upgraded to the 520. So I sold the 500 model Sawtrain and bought the 520 model to replace it.

I've been extremely pleased with the Sawtrain Cabinetmaker's System. It gives you repeatability like no other tool or jig I've seen. It's a snap to return to a former setting. The "center finder" feature is great for getting dadoes dead center on a piece of stock or for ripping a board "exactly" in half.

The only drawbacks I see with the 520 model are (1) you can not turn the system around and cut something from either the other side of the saw blade or (2) do routing from the very end of the Shopsmith (without changing the height of the table so you can clear the saw blade). That is, you have to get used to doing routing standing at the end of the fence rather than standing facing the fence. Hope that makes sense.

If you would like more information about my experience with the Sawtrain just send me a private message.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Thanks for getting back to me!

I had posted a simular request at ssug.org and was directed to the yahoo group where I have joined and began reading the old posts. Rather then start asking a bunch of questions that might have already been answered I will attempt to read all of the posts before doing much else.

Ed
hops
Bronze Member

Thumbs up

Post by hops »

Hi Ed -
I've got the Cabinetmaker's system. Wow. All I can say is "wow"! I've had mine just under a year and love it. I really looked at the Incra and was close to buying their product, but was really put off by the anti-SS attitude. (Yeah, I know, it is contrary to the love-fest you see between the two companies in the SS catalogs, but this was from two different demonstrators at two different woodworking demonstrations - about a year ago.)

Now, on to the good stuff. You don't have to alter your SS to fit the Jointech system. You drill holes in tables for the Incra. That's key in my book. Repeatability - like Leonard said - if you want to repeat, just reset and go to work. Quality - I've seen nothing but top notch quality; heavy duty. Now, I've not had the other in my shop to really test it out, but basing my judgment solely on Jointech's merits, I'm impressed. Customer service - for a company to support SS is rare, as you likely know, but Jointech not only supports them, they understand them. Look in their sales brochures, etc., and you may not see the whole SS, but chances are, it is a SS if you look closely!

Overall: pricey addition to my shop, but definitely worth the $. I've made boxes that I just wouldn't have bothered with before.

bkhop
Mark V 520/DeWalt 746/Mark V "mini"/Power Station/SS Strip Sander/SS Bandsaw with Kreg upgrade/SS planer on stand/SS Jointer/SS scrollsaw/SS Lathe Duplicator/Jointech SawTrain/Jointech Smart Miter/Jointech SmartLift Digital
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Does anyone know if you get the jointech full package that included a router table whether you need something else? In the description they mention the table comes without the rail. I assume they mean table rails that are used to connect the table to the Shopsmith. The price of the rails are around $90 from Shopsmith if you must buy them there.
Anyone know what is the true story?
Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I decided to pass on the purchase of either of the two systems I was looking at. I had a few issues as to how I wanted to use them and what I would have to do to make the change overs....... I also had a few design issues with how things were done but that is another story.

When I looked at how much these cost and how I would use them, well I just could not see fit to spend the money. The two features that these seem really good at:

Ripping to size and repeat cutting. First most of my ripping operations don't need the precision offered. I do quite well with how I have learned to do things and methods I use. For the few times I do need close I think I can adapt my incra ultra and will not have to do any table drilling.....

Routing. One of the main things I was looking for was the router set-up but again I have almost the same ability with what I already have. And again depending on how you do things and what you are trying to do says the advantages to me would be limited. I'm a big fan of how the router workshop guys do there routing and set-ups.

This is ment to be but a brief summery of my thinking and should not be taken as a negative report by owners of this equipment. It is just not what I need right now but who know what I might decide at another time given other projects I might work on or limits imposed by my present equipment.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hey Ed,

I did do a bit of reading and you will need the front and back rails and the springs and knobs...... I don't know about the spacers and how they attach to the router table but yea that adds a few bucks to the bill. If you think you need them I would make sure you get them on sale... like right now they are 15% off.

I have a set I got to make a router table for my shopsmith but I have not put it together yet. Table is done minus final dimensions and fastner locations but now that it is winter in IL this will be a spring project.

Ed
hops
Bronze Member

Post by hops »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Does anyone know if you get the jointech full package that included a router table whether you need something else? In the description they mention the table comes without the rail. I assume they mean table rails that are used to connect the table to the Shopsmith. The price of the rails are around $90 from Shopsmith if you must buy them there.
Anyone know what is the true story?
Ed
Ed - yes, if you buy the setup from Jointech, you have to buy the rails for the fence; these are not included. This was pretty stinky in my opinion, but a trade-off I was willing to make. Then, I just got lucky one day and nabbed the rails on eBay for 1/2 price.
bkhop
Mark V 520/DeWalt 746/Mark V "mini"/Power Station/SS Strip Sander/SS Bandsaw with Kreg upgrade/SS planer on stand/SS Jointer/SS scrollsaw/SS Lathe Duplicator/Jointech SawTrain/Jointech Smart Miter/Jointech SmartLift Digital