Getting Accustomed to the Table Saw

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Getting Accustomed to the Table Saw

Post by tomsalwasser »

Greetings woodworkers,

While I've owned my Shopsmith for years (it sat mostly unused) I'm new to the table saw mode so please bear with me. I used this handy setup to crosscut some long stock down to rough size. It utilizes 2 fixed extension tables. I like having the second fixed extension. The rip fence and crosscut sled make for safe, easy and accurate cutting. Also note the elevated height of the extension table on your right to match the sled height. The table is nearly 7 feet long.

Best,
Tom

[ATTACH]12571[/ATTACH]
Attachments
100_3280 copy.JPG
100_3280 copy.JPG (381.57 KiB) Viewed 4676 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I like your setup but I see something in the photo that would be of concern to me. It appears that you have the cross cut sled and the rip fence in contact with the work piece simultaneously.

There might be a relief spacer between the rip fence and the work piece; I can't see for certain. I hope so.

No doubt though, the Shopsmith is great for doing this sort of work. I especially like the cutoff sled for longer pieces.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

[quote="dusty"]There might be a relief spacer between the rip fence and the work piece]

You are correct Dusty there is no relief spacer and there should be. I must admit I never use one, especially working with MDF as much as I do. The saw powers through it with ease and never a kickback. But I think I'll make a spacer anyway just to establish "safe working practices" like Francis said in another post. You never know when things can go wrong.

Oh, and again, happy birthday Dusty!

Best,
Tom
Underdog
Gold Member

Post by Underdog »

I confess, I've always cut wood as shown in the picture.

If I'm following this correctly, what I should be doing is using some sort of spacer between the work piece and the fence so that as the work piece slides forward it is no longer in contact with the fence as it passes through the blade?

If that's the case, how do you accurate measure between the fence and the teeth of the blade? I've always run a measure directly between the two. Should I be measuring my spacer, adding that width to my desired measurement, and then setting the fence to that "new" measurement??? :confused:
dasgud
Gold Member

Post by dasgud »

I clamp the spacer to the fence then measure to the spacer. After I have the fence distance placed with the spacer, I'll slide the spacer to the front of the fence (closest to me) before I start the cut.
I made this table saw gauge a couple of months ago that makes measuring the distance to the fence a lot easier now too.
[ATTACH]12572[/ATTACH]
The gauge sets in the miter slot, the knob locks the adjustable bar, and I use the block that sets on the adjustable bar to set the blade to a 'zero' position. Then I'll slide the fence with the spacer clamped to it to touch the end of the bar and I have my cut set up.
Attachments
TableSawGauge01.JPG
TableSawGauge01.JPG (234.82 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Underdog wrote:I confess, I've always cut wood as shown in the picture.
Me too. That's what's so cool about this forum. I'm accustomed to working alone with little feedback. I like this place. Nice jig dasgud!

After crosscutting to rough length I ripped to width. I remembered this quick and dirty outfeed table from a handout in a Shopsmith class I took eons ago. I like it. It utilizes an extension table inserted backwards to make it clear the work table. This allows floating tables to be set up for outfeed.

Best,
Tom
Attachments
100_3281 copy.JPG
100_3281 copy.JPG (421.01 KiB) Viewed 4173 times
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

dasgud wrote:I made this table saw gauge a couple of months ago [ATTACH]12572[/ATTACH]
Nice jig! I've gotta ask: how did you make that fluted knob?
dasgud
Gold Member

Post by dasgud »

algale wrote:Nice jig! I've gotta ask: how did you make that fluted knob?
Thank you and thanks for asking. I'll make a new thread to describe that. I started to write an article on the whole project for my website, but I got distracted and never finished it. Too many important things to get done.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Underdog wrote:I confess, I've always cut wood as shown in the picture.

If I'm following this correctly, what I should be doing is using some sort of spacer between the work piece and the fence so that as the work piece slides forward it is no longer in contact with the fence as it passes through the blade?

If that's the case, how do you accurate measure between the fence and the teeth of the blade? I've always run a measure directly between the two. Should I be measuring my spacer, adding that width to my desired measurement, and then setting the fence to that "new" measurement??? :confused:
YES!............. Make sure the workpiece completely clears the spacer prior to contacting the blade.

Realize the fence is a 'rip' fence. It is not intended to be used for crosscutting. It can be, but that is a hazardous operation due to the possibility of 'kick back'. Same 'problem' when simultaneously contacting the fence and a sled/miter gauge.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Underdog
Gold Member

Post by Underdog »

dasgud,

I must be a little slower than others here, as I'm not following how the jig is used to measure distance to the fence. Maybe because the whole "use a spacer against the rip fence" is a new concept to me. It sure is pretty. Just not sure how it is used.

So... what is it about a rip cut that makes it safe to run along the fence that isn't safe for a cross cut? Is it because it is the wood against the fence is the portion that gets fed into the saw blade (as opposed to feeding the wood into the blade by pushing on the side that is not against the fence? But how is that different than feeding a cross cut into the blade by pushing the wood that is between the fence and the blade?

Can you tell I'm a bit confused? Eager to learn a safer way, as I've been starting to teach my kids to use the equipment and I'd rather teach them well...

Thanks.