Weekly Blog - September 23rd

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Weekly Blog - September 23rd

Post by john »

This past week has been a glorious end to summer in these parts, almost too nice to be inside!

However, I did get a bit of time in the shop and after last week's disappointment with the CD cabinet, decided to go for a change of pace and started some toys. I cut out the shapes for four small tractor trailer type trucks from a piece of old 2 x 4 scrap I had around. It is so old, it actually measured 1 5/8" in thickness, while current 2 x4 around here is now 1 1/4" thick.

The trucks originate from a Winfield design for a transport van that I adapted to make a series of flatbeds that can be made into tankers, loggers, or just a flatbed with side rails, etc. This occurred a few years ago when I found the wood I had was not wide enough (4") to make a transport so I cut out some flatbeds and started adding accessories.

Of the four cut out this past week, two will be loggers (one is finished) and I have not decided yet on the other two. I will try to post pictures when I get a complete set of four.

Have a good and safe week!

John
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Well, I didn't get any woodworking done this weekend. In addition to making furniture, I'm also a Marine. I'm additionally trained as a Casualty Call Officer. Well, a Marine in Southern CA was killed late Friday night (non-combat, accident on I-5), so we had to notify the family members Saturday. Three teams went out as the family was spread all over Southern MO. Went about as crappy as could be expected. I love being a Marine, I hate this job!!:mad:
Then, Sunday, on the way to church, my family and I saw a little brown head pop up out of the ditch on the side of the road. I backed up and sure enough, it was a small dog. Mini-pinscher to be exact. Judging from the scrapes and bruises, looks like somebody tossed him out of a moving vehicle. Animal dumps happen all of the time out in my area, so I'm not inclined to think he jumped out of a window. Anyway, took him home, cleaned him up, used copious amounts of Neosporin, and now have a new addition to the family that has, so far, only left us three "presents" we've had to clean up. He's not banged up too bad. The little guy took off snapping and snarling after our BIG golden retriever. One of the funniest things I've seen in a long time: Our Golden cruising at warp speed trying to get away from a little bitty fur-covered tornado!
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Eric:

Though I am from north of the border, I have a great admiration for the guys that put on the uniform and do the jobs that have to be done but the one you outline has to be one of the toughest.

As to your second story, that is a whole lot happier.

Keep up the good work!

John