How do you guys do it??

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jimsjinx
Gold Member

No offence taken!

Post by jimsjinx »

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I was miffed or anything. You guys are my happy place! I just would hate for me to convey a scene of "Hoarders, Buried Alive" !!LOL I just get so flustered, and a better arrangement would benifit my old bones! It's embarrassing! I could pump out 3-4 full size dining room sets a week, just a couple years ago! Now, I get one done in about the same time! My "production mode" days are numbered. Anyway, I never take offence to the comments here. Everyone is trying to add something so as to help, and get a chuckle now and then! I'm real bad at saying something, then realizing, it makes no sense at all, or is abrasive as heck! I never mean it that way though! I smell like a Ceasar salad right now, from un-caning a chair seat with white vinigar, so I gotta go shower! My wife came in, and asked where's the salad? LOL Thanks, and keep them ideas coming! jimsjinx
If you are a part time band leader, does that make you a semi-conductor? Where do all the "unguided" bombs go?
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I guess the real question I have to the guys with messy shops is how do you find your tools? or How much time do you waste hunting for a tool?

My old woodshop was an "L" shaped corner of the farm shop consisting of about 650 sq. ft. It was actually fairly organized except the lumber storage area. It had some serious flaws though. Most of it was under a low loft and almost half of it was still a dirt floor. It was fairly comfortable in the summer but totally un-heatable in the winter. It was also "VERY" bad about tool sweating and rusting.

Now comes the new shop which is a little over 1400 sq. ft. and can be expanded (and probably will). It is easy to heat and cool and has a good floor. It suffers only from not being fully sat up yet. There is still a lot of unrelated "stuff" that has not been removed yet. Most tools do not have a final home yet. All it really needs is time and that has been hard to come by.
Much of the time shortage comes from us spending so much time with the horses which does not need defending. We get a LOT of pleasure from it and a fair amount of income as well. Then there are medical issues, family stuff and all manner of other time demands.
A couple of weeks in there would work wonders but it is a real pain the way it is. The trouble is that there are all kinds of things demanding a couple of weeks of time already in line...
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
donald1
Gold Member

Post by donald1 »

[quote="rlkeeney"]I think they just clean it up for the photo. ]
yeah it may be...;)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: How do you guys do it??

Post by jsburger »

FWIW, I did my new 30' X 40' shop floor my self in 2009. The two part epoxy paint was bought at a Sherwin-Williams paint store. Today 13 years later it looks the same as the day I put it down.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jenniferwarms wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:36 am I want to install an epoxy garage floor in the house we're moving into but keep getting conflicting info regarding durability, etc. I know each of the box stores has its own DIY kits but I'd like to hear from anyone who's got personal experience with this. Is there any difference between the professionally installed floors and stuff you paint on yourself?? Thanks
I have researched this quite a bit, but haven't done my garage floors yet. Based on feedback from friends that have done this and my own research, I would say the biggest difference between the DIY kits and the pro install is surface preparation. A good pro installer will mechanically abrade the concrete to both clean it, level it and give the best surface adhesion for the epoxy paint. They will also fill in the expansion cracks. For both the DIY kit and less inclined contractors they will only acid wash the concrete beforehand. I have had friends that did the DIY kit from Home Depot and they had peeling a few years later but those that I know who did a pro install have no complaints. Some pros use a more professional grade of epoxy, I believe, but I can't remember the details on it, so it might be worth investigating. I don't think the DIY kits sold at hardware stores are very good quality based on feedback from my friends. However, if you want to do it yourself I would go to a pro paint store as John mentioned. I am sure there are different quality grades you can get for this. IMHO this is one area where spending more money is worth it in the long run, i.e. put down the best product you can afford whether it is a DIY or pro install.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I had mine done professionally four years ago amd it looks like new today. Yes, the floor was first abraded first, then cleaned with a solvent and then vacuumed right before application. Wasn't cheap but it appears as though it will outlast me.

Mine is flaked with black, white and gray chips. I would change that if I could. It does a great job of providing camouflage for small, parts.
OFT and $60 Parts 008.jpg
OFT and $60 Parts 008.jpg (398.9 KiB) Viewed 3086 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

One thing I should add about my installation is that my floor was brand new. When I had the shop built the contractor only built the shell and poured the floor. I did all of the interior (wiring, insulation, walls, lights, etc.) myself. However, the floor was done first on the new concrete. It was the first thing done after the concrete cured. I did do an acid wash but no grinding/abrading was required.

If I was doing an old dirty floor I would hire a contractor.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I’ve done a total of four garages three of them were done with DIY kits from the big box stores and one was done professionally. two of the DIY kits failed within a year because there was no vapor barrier under the concrete one was on new construction and one was on 40 year old construction

The DIY kit that I used that actually worked was done on new construction with a vapor barrier installed and I had the contractor do a broom finish on the concrete so the epoxy had something good to bite into. It took me four of the DIY kits to do a two car garage that was 26 x 28. It still looked great when I sold the house after 10 years

Our current house we had it done professionally and it cost about $3000. The finish took them two days of grinding the surface a day to put down the epoxy and another day to put down a clearcoat. I think it looks a lot better than the DIY kits but I don’t think it holds up necessarily any better assuming you have a vapor barrier and proper surface prep of the floor.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

I looked at both epoxy flooring and vinyl tiles for my garage floor. In the end I chose to go with the vinyl tile option.

As has been mentioned, when done “properly”, installation of epoxy flooring can take several days. I wasn’t to thrilled at the thought of leaving all of my tools outside while waiting for the cement to prepped and epoxy to cure. Additionally my garage floor has wide expansion joints with rounded edges that even the three inch castors didn’t like. This lead me to looking at vinyl tiles.

The cost for the tiles was less then the epoxy. Additionally installation could be completed in one day with minimal concrete prep work. The vinyl tiles are “ softer” to stand on all day then concrete and if you accidentally drop something the tile is much more forgiving. The tiles bridge the concrete expansion joints fine and I haven’t had any problems moving things around.

I have had these installed for 5 years now. For the most part I have been happy with their performance. The tiles have picked up some stains but for the most part are holding up well. That being said, a well done epoxy floor looks really nice!
Attachments
F005F328-2DC9-4609-93A7-97AC449018AC.jpeg
F005F328-2DC9-4609-93A7-97AC449018AC.jpeg (438.43 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
A7F64C8E-07AF-482A-B56C-52A38BBC668D.jpeg
A7F64C8E-07AF-482A-B56C-52A38BBC668D.jpeg (576.81 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
ekantsur
Bronze Member

Post by ekantsur »

I work on small crafts, most of the projects can easily be carried from bench to bench. tellculvers com survey taco bell breakfast hours
Last edited by ekantsur on Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.