mortiser

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Jim I was using a piece of pine the same size as the oak as a backer. I did the test cut in the pine then traded spots with the oak. The drill bit starts the cut but when the chisel makes contact I can't go any further it just flexes the motor back. I am afraid to continue this for fear of damaging the headstock or quill.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Scott - How does this same bit perform in oak without the mortising attachment? This is the only way I can figure to eliminate the bit as the problem.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

At this point from all that I have read here I can almost for sure say that there are only two things that can be the problem.

1) The chisel is not as sharp as it needs to be, so rehoning might help.
2) The wood is very very hard and the cure is to drill relief holes first, or select another method of making the cuts.

As good as any drill press mounted mortising pkg. is they do have limits and clearly when thing start bending you have reached them. If after attempting to rehone the chisel it still will not cut then another method should be selected. Using more force is not the correct direction to go.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]