New to SS

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hey berry,

I could not tell from the picture of your SS shelf, but did the water bed really use an OSB mattress platform? I have only seen them made of particle board! Well anyway, I REALLY liked the other pictures. I think that is a dandy design for an outfeed table. It looks like it will tip with the main table perfectly, and it's use of the SS tubes for support is ingenious!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Berry - Thanks for the pictures! Your clever and simple construction of the shelves and out feed table are a real bright spot. Think I'll copy your work! That's the kind of stuff I like. Simple, strong and best of all, they WORK! Some of the folks have fretted over the tipping possibilities of their out feed tables. I'll bet you are not concerned with this as the ballast created by your shelves makes the Mark V pretty stable.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
berry
Platinum Member

For the record

Post by berry »

That outfeed tabledesign, is NOT mine. I saw a picture on the Yahoo SS group and copied it. I cut the locations for the connector tubes on a 2 x 4 and then used the bandsaw to re-saw it into two boards. The "table top" is 3/4" BB and a sheet of formica. The "table top" is a separate piece so it's easier to move and store. (I have a pretty small shop @ 12' x 14'.)

I'm working with some pretty long/heavy stock these days rough cut 1 x 8 cherry. For that kind of weight I add a brace to the outfeed table, just a standard roller stand. A second roller stand is a couple feet further out to take some of the weight when board moves past the blade.

The OSB on the under SS shelf did come from a real water bed, I bought the whole thing for $25. The head board made a nice shelf in the office. The base went under my bed. The OSB had been worked into a couple of projects and the 2 X 12 pine frame has be used a couple of projects too, like my panel cutting jig.

I'm glad you liked them.