Time Zones for Dummys

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fixit
Gold Member

Time Zones for Dummys

Post by fixit »

Nick's message about the Sawdust Session Test says "...I will run these tests on Monday, October 22, between 3:00 pm EST and 4:00 pm Est..." However, the country is on DST until 4 Nov.

So I'm having a senior moment trying to figure out when to try to connect to the test. I'm in the Central Time Zone - Dayton is in the Eastern TZ. If I figure it correctly 3:00 pm ES(standard)T is 2:00 pm DS(savings)T or 1:00 pm DST where I am.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who can clear up my confusion. I don't want to miss the party!:confused:
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Leonard - There is only one hour difference between your location and Dayton, OH. Ohio IS on DST. and our guys made a little oops! After all they are wood guys - not time keepers! They should have said EDT!

I believe the whole Nation, because of the wisdom:rolleyes: of our Wash. DC Congress, is on Daylight Savings Time through the end of this month. That is - all except Arizona and Hawaii! Some years ago, when DST was begun, AZ Said (to their credit) "We don't want any more sunlight and the temps that go with it!" (States could/can refuse to accept Savings Time) Actually the problem of DST time telling is World wide. There is much confusion and actually some riots. (Even Athens Ohio had riots over DST)

Just copied this from the DST website : Daylight Saving Time is NOT observed in Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, and Arizona . The Navajo Nation participates in the Daylight Saving Time policy, even in Arizona, due to its large size and location in three states.

There is also the strange situations where some states are located in two or more time zones.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

Hi Chuck,

Thanks. I know Dayton is on DST but when the message said EST I wasn't sure what they meant. Thus the question. I'll show up @ 2:00 pm (my time) tomorrow and hope to catch the show.
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
dusty
Platinum Member

Time Zones for Dummys

Post by dusty »

My point of reference - Sawdust Sessions are conducted at 9:00 am EST and 9:00 am MST.

If I want to watch the early session - I know "the hard way" that I must be in the classroom at 6:00 am Tucson time.

If I want to watch the second session - I must be in the classroom at 9:00 am Tucson time.

Tucson is in the Mountain Time Zone but does not go on daylight savings.

Therefore, to be there for this session 3:00 pm EST), I must log in at 12:00 pm Tucson time.

I'll probably check in at 11:00 am just to make sure.

Maybe we could do this the easly way - in zulu time. Zulu in Tucson is GMT + 7 hours.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dusty wrote:My point of reference - Sawdust Sessions are conducted at 9:00 am EST and 9:00 am MST.

If I want to watch the early session - I know "the hard way" that I must be in the classroom at 6:00 am Tucson time.

If I want to watch the second session - I must be in the classroom at 9:00 am Tucson time.

Tucson is in the Mountain Time Zone but does not go on daylight savings.

Therefore, to be there for this session 3:00 pm EST), I must log in at 12:00 pm Tucson time.

I'll probably check in at 11:00 am just to make sure.

Maybe we could do this the easly way - in zulu time. Zulu in Tucson is GMT - 7 hours (or is it + 7 hours?).
Dusty - you are almost correct! There is presently 3 hours difference between Tuscon and Dayton. That's the good news. However the broadcast will occur at 3pm EDT - not EST. Unless Shopsmith is the only group in Ohio that has not switched to Daylight Saving Time!

There is also 3 hours of difference between Lancaster, CA and Dayton. That is because both OH and CA are on Daylight Saving Time. Drew has already said that when his clock strikes three the show will begin. He also said he doesn't know the difference between EST and EDT. But we know he is on EDT.

CA and AZ (except the Navajo Nation) are on the same time presently. Come the first Sunday in November, the time between CA and AZ will be 1 hour different. The funny thing is there will still be 3 hrs difference between CA and OH, but there will only be two hrs between AZ and OH.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

charlese wrote:Dusty - you are almost correct! There is presently 3 hours difference between Tuscon and Dayton. That's the good news. However the broadcast will occur at 3pm EDT - not EST.

There is also 3 hours of difference between Lancaster, CA and Dayton. That is because both OH and CA are on Daylight Saving Time. Drew has already said that when his clock strikes three the show will begin. He also said he doesn't know the difference between EST and EDT. But we know he is on EDT.
charlese, Nick wrote - "Drew and I will run these tests on Monday, October 22, between 3:00 pm EST and 4:00 pm Est".

He did not say Eastern Daylight Time - he said Eastern Standard Time.

Somehow, charlese, I think we might violently agree. I'll be there, hope you can make it too.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

WOW!

I think I created a monster! I thought Nick meant Eastern Standard Time when he said EST. However, Chuck said Drew said (how's that for third party information?) they would start when his (Drew's) clock strikes 3:00pm - so that makes it Eastern(DST) time. So I'll be there at 2:00pm DST here in Texas.

However, like Dusty said, I'll probably also check in an hour early just to make sure I don't miss the party. Hope to see you all there.
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

It is friggin' amazing how you guys overthink everything. You sure you weren't once in vaudeville? The above posts are reminiscent of the old "Who's on first?" routine.

Dayton, Ohio is in the Eastern Time Zone. We are also -- like most of the rest of the country -- on Daylight Savings Time. When the big hand is on twelve and the little hand is on three here in the Buckeye State, Drew and I will begin the webcast.

If your watch is broken or if you haven't yet arrived at the end of your comedy routine, you may check the time with the United States Naval Observatory here: http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl. We will begin the webcast at 19:00:00 UTC, also known to us old-time pilots as Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).

With all good wishes,
dusty
Platinum Member

Time Zone for Dummies

Post by dusty »

Great. Just what I needed.:)

Let's see - UTC (aka GMT, aka Zulu) - 7 hours equals time where I am = 12 noon.

See ya there. I'll bring a lunch.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Nick wrote:It is friggin' amazing how you guys overthink everything. You sure you weren't once in vaudeville? The above posts are reminiscent of the old "Who's on first?" routine.

Dayton, Ohio is in the Eastern Time Zone. We are also -- like most of the rest of the country -- on Daylight Savings Time. When the big hand is on twelve and the little hand is on three here in the Buckeye State, Drew and I will begin the webcast.

If your watch is broken or if you haven't yet arrived at the end of your comedy routine, you may check the time with the United States Naval Observatory here: http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl. We will begin the webcast at 19:00:00 UTC, also known to us old-time pilots as Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).

With all good wishes,
Nick
I still have a slight problem. When you use the term big hand do you mean longer or wider? See some people refer to big as being wider not longer. Now if you had said the long skinny hand or short fat hand then it would have been perfectly clear unless your talking to someone that had only digital watch. Then you should have said when the numbers 03:00 and the PM light is on or the AM light is off. This is all so very confusing!?!?!?!?! :eek:

I'm sorry I couldn't resist. :p