Using Biscuits In Middle Of Board

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fjimp
Platinum Member

Using Biscuits In Middle Of Board

Post by fjimp »

The email from Shopsmith containing a link to a video of Nick illustrating use of Biscuits in the Middle of A Board is a master stroke of Marketing.

I now know how to use that tool. Keep up the good work Nick, your efforts will greatly improve Shopsmith's bottom line.

If anyone isn't signed up to receive email from Shopsmith you are missing the boat. Jim :D
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

What fence is that, that Nick is using?
Ed
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Ed,

It looks like item 556005 on page 36 of the Fathers Day Catalog. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
dusty
Platinum Member

Using Biscuits In Middle of Board

Post by dusty »

This video was of great quality. Both audio and video were excellent. Now I know there is no streaming video involved here but it sort of sets ones expectations.

The fence is one I have never seen before. However, I have one that looks very similar. Mine is a repurposed fence from my Incra Pro. I bought the Incra with a short fence and then upgraded later to the longer fence. A few weeks ago, I got the brain storm. It works great. Will attach photos later.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Yes it is the 556005 and I have featured it in no less then 4-5 posts in the last 6 weeks. If you want to see some of those do a search on "556005".

It's a good addition to your tool collection.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Is there any catalog picture of it. I do a search and all I get is some verbage. I would like to see a picture and know what comes with it. I don't have the father's day catalog, I either didn't get it or I tossed it when the sale was over.

I never realized it was the same part 556005 Ed was using. His pictures and the one in video looked different to me. Sorry!
Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hey Ed I looked and couldn't find a picture of it either. It is a "L" shaped piece which is the fence. It has two screws and 2 nuts (washers??) that attach it to the miter gauge. It has one flip-up stop, and the instruction sheet.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Ed, you're spot on. The fence is #556005 -- http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... tem=556005. And just like Tampanian Ed noted, the marketing weenies have neglected to put up a picture. Here's a few I just snapped:

[ATTACH]513[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]514[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]515[/ATTACH]

By the way, folks, this is the very same fence that comes with the Kreg Fence System for our band saw (#556030). If you've been thinking about getting one of these for Christmas, you can use my video tip as another way to justify spending the money. Or, if you already have a Kreg band saw fence, then you don't need to spend any more money.

I have to admit that I do like the fence on the miter gauge for the simple reason that you can quickly adjust it left or right and attach or detach expendable wooden faces when needed. You can make a dynamite finger joint jig with it, as well. Maybe I should do a Sawdust Session on this accessory...

Wth all good wishes,
Attachments
Fence&Stop.jpg
Fence&Stop.jpg (68.09 KiB) Viewed 17526 times
Attachment_bolts.jpg
Attachment_bolts.jpg (45.26 KiB) Viewed 17524 times
Fence_attachment.jpg
Fence_attachment.jpg (47.67 KiB) Viewed 17525 times
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I have the Kreg Fence (in the box, until next weekend) but where did you get the screws and nuts that hold the fence on the mitre gauge? Are they special?

On another topic, I am about to order the Ring Master, (since the Sand Flee is not on sale and it is I will get it) are you planning on a video demo of any kind for it?
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

...where did you get the screws and nuts that hold the fence on the mitre gauge?
Its my understanding that they come with the Kreg package, Paul. The Kreg package is actually a combination of three other packages, including #556005 -- which itself includes the fence extrusion, the flip stop, and the bolts and nuts. In short, everything I show in the photos minus the miter gauge. Let me know it it's otherwise.

I am about to order the Ring Master...are you planning on a video demo of any kind for it?
I can, Paul. I've never used the Ring Master. I suppose I could wade into it and see what it's about. It might make a very amusing session. I'll call the Montgomery County Paramedics and see if they will stand by while I do a demo.

With all good wishes,