How did the Oct 27 sawdust session go?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

How did the last sawdust session Oct 27 go? I haven't heard a peep out of anyone and that is highly unusual.
I took part in the test but was unable to be available for the actual session and I was just wondering. Actually I wanted to see Nick demo the sandflee.

Can't wait until the session are load on the internet.
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed, I thought it went quite well. The presentations imcluded some very worthwhile information and as always, were well presented.

The audio was good throughout the entire session. The video was from time to time a bit choppy. Drew reported that he knew why and was working on it.

The Sand Flee was impressive. If I am ever in the market for a surface sander, I will have to give the Sand Flee serious consideration.

I also found the session on jointer knives quite interesting. You should make it a point to view this if you have a Shopsmith jointer. Do make it a point to view the plans for the knife setting jig that Drew and Nick have come up with.;)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

It seems that as soon as we knock down one problem, another springs up to take its place.:confused: This week, we traded the jerky, choppy video caused by a low-rent streaming server for jerky, choppy video caused by our inexperience with our encoding hardware.:rolleyes: Let me explain.

The streaming test in which many of you were so kind as to participate convinced us the the jerky/choppy video was caused by streaming service that was a poor fit for our needs. Based on the results of the test, we switched to another service and performed further tests to see if we could deliver a smooth video at medium resolution (320 x 240) while capturing it at DVD quality (about twice that resolution). Initial tests -- which we only ran for a short time -- showed we could. So that's what we decided to do.

The stream was perfect for the first ten minutes, then began to "jump." Apparently, our hard drive could not keep up with the high resolution stream being delivered to it and the cache backed up, as near as we could tell. The result was the same choppy/jerky video, but this time we saw the stops and the starts happening before we sent the stream out of the building. It was clearly our problem, not one caused by our streaming service. Drew managed to divine the problem and fixed it in time to save the second (West Coast) jointer knife and marquetry sessions. But he was not able to capture a good Sand Flee webcast, and that session remains choppy. The audio is fine, but the video is like watching a slide show rather than a full-motion stream. I've posted it anyway -- with apologies -- and Drew and I will re-tape it when next we have a chance.

For the next Sawdust Session, we will simply go back to webcasting and capturing the medium-resolution stream. We won't have time to do anything else; Drew doesn't get back from his honeymoon until Thursday, November 8. Afterwards, we'll run a few more LONG tests and find the true limits of our hardware so we can deliver the best possible resolution with the least number of stops and starts.

With all good wishes,
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

Indeed the second two sessions were of very good quality. From my vantage point everything got better once the Q&A for the SandFlee started. I figured Drew must have done something to make it better. After that Q&A session began, I only had one video hiccup and a "stop/start" action on my end seemed to resolve it.

I was certainly pleased. Unfortuantely a couple of other viewers complained and signed off before it got better, so perhaps a couple of fish were lost there.

Too bad you did not get a clearer capture to post in the archive. Bob traveled all the way out there to make the demo and was pretty patient for the other two sessions. It is worth a re-do, Nick, but only after part 4 of the undiscovered tool!

Paul
bkhop
Gold Member

Post by bkhop »

paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

I remember you. I think you said something about going to your shop... I'm glad you got it working. Yeah, it sounds like an IE/Windows only routine. Someone else tried with Firefox (was that you as well?) and that didn't work. I guess I'm lucky because even though I am a mac user as well, I also have a windows computer sitting right next to it on my desk.

I'm glad to hear you will try again.

Paul
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I tried logging on with my Mac and got absolutely nothing except the title page. I have all the necessary software, too. I guess I'll have to spring for a copy of XP (YUK!) and use Boot Camp to view the sessions. Anyone have an extra XP full install cd/dvd lying around? If, so send me a private message if you're willing to sell cheap.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Nick wrote:Based on the results of the test, we switched to another service and performed further tests to see if we could deliver a smooth video at medium resolution (320 x 240) while capturing it at DVD quality (about twice that resolution). Initial tests -- which we only ran for a short time -- showed we could. So that's what we decided to do.

With all good wishes,
DVD Quality requires 4X the disk bandwidth for twice the resolution (640x480).
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
rcoder
Gold Member

4. Marquetry Basics

Post by rcoder »

Is there something wrong with "4. Marquetry Basics"?? Everything else works fine but I can't play that one.

Bob Coder
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Bob, apprently there is something wrong witht he Marquetry video and I have been working all afternoon to correct it. It was working fine yesterday, but for some reason today it's listed on Google's server as "failed." I have tried uploading it again several times with no joy. Drew and I will try a brand new render and hope that takes care of the problem.

With all good wishes,