Calling all Geeks....

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chiroindixon
Gold Member

Calling all Geeks....

Post by chiroindixon »

I can see that there are many here with more computer skills than mine....So...Are there any good but fairly easy, woodworking programs that you all would recommend ?

I've seen some for cut lists, etc but none I see that will design furniture and yield decent plans. I like plans to follow. I'm still learning.

Faced with designing and building a French Country Armoire, I need to make plans. I can find none on Internet that SWMBO likes. I can still do plans with a ruler and crayons but I'd like to learn a new way. Too many hours squinting on a draftsmans' table 35 years ago burnt me out.

This ought to stir a debate......

Doc, in Iowa
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

Admittedly I have not used it as I have not had to time to set down and learn the program but Google Sketch up has gotten excellent reviews and the price is right. FREE. Available as a download with tutorials from Google. Here is a link: http://sketchup.google.com/gsu6/download.html
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Doc! Thanks for posting in a font big enough to read! I'm far away from being a Geek or a guru, but have tried Google Sketchup with limited success. There is an article in the latest Fine Woodworking Mag. that supposedly tell how to use Sketchup to produce wonderful drawings - even assembly diagrams where the parts are floating just outside their intended positions.
Google Sketchup is free!

I bought a 2D program named Design Cad express. I've had better luck with that program making 2D drawings like I used to do in High School drafting class. It isn't free. The program is available from IMSI. Took a while to learn, but they have a tutorial.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I use CutList Pro a lot, it goes from free to $499. I use Silver which was $89. I helps me layout most projects I build, I never found a use for the higher version. The program is so easy to use I have never opened the manual.

I keep all my wood inventory and what I paid in its database, so I can price what I build (my wife sells some of it at gift shows).
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC