Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Farmer's style?

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Loved it!!!!

I was fascinated by the feed man, notice his right arm and the slight corrections he makes to the feed rate. A true craftsman.

Like to see SawStop technology installed on that saw. :D
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Very cool. I'm going to forward the link to my Dad in Illinois. He used to take me to the thrasherman's Reunion when I was a lad. All steam powered equipment.
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I've watched a lot of those used and love watching. My first sawmill was a blacksmith made rig. A circle saw, smaller than that one and dangerous as hell. Rather than make a bunch of modifications to it I sold it. I warned the buyer carefully about its design flaws. He had some good ideas on making it safer. Even with a narrower kerf than those big ones it still ate about 1/4" of wood on each cut. Those big inserted tooth blades can take as much as 5/8" at each cut if it has any run-out at all.
My second sawmill that I bought after I sold the blacksmith one was a bandsaw mill. It would cut a log 30" in diameter and 24' long. It only took about a 1/8" of wood per cut. It also cut so smooth that you only had to plane off a very small amount on each board. It cut so smooth that on one or two jobs where the customer wanted a rough cut I had to put a lot of set in one tooth on each side to leave a rustic look to the lumber. I used it for 6 years then sold it for about what I paid for it. It was a Kasco, made locally by a family friend (now deceased).

More recently I bought a small Wood-mizer but didn't get it into use due to some health problems. It is stored in the old woodshop. The health problems are all under control now but now it is time problems... I still have high hopes for November, I need to get some logs sawed up to be drying over the winter. It will saw a log about 24" X 18'.
My great grandfather owned a busy sawmill and grist mill, water powered (stationary steam engine in dry weather).

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

If anyone is interested. They have a antique farm machinery show around august each year in Georgetown Ohio. About an hour east of Cincinnati.

http://www.ovams.org/tractors.htm
"Prove to all the world Metal rules the land"
-Judas Priest, Heavy Duty.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Here is a picture of that Kasco mill when I was cutting some 24' runners for a building so I could move it.
[ATTACH]14578[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Kasco sawmill.jpg
Kasco sawmill.jpg (93.71 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill