Looking for beginner project.

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mustangpalmer1911
Gold Member

Looking for beginner project.

Post by mustangpalmer1911 »

Looking for something to make on the SS. I took wood shop back in HS so i got a little more than the basics lock away some where in my brain just gotta refresh them. So I am looking some ideas to get back into the swing of it.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

How about one of these?
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/pp_fs-hps-l.htm

Or maybe a birdhouse.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

Here is a free plan from Wood Magazine for an Arts & Crafts clock. When you get to the last page you should be able to download the plans.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking ... fts-clock/

Sincerely,

Ron309763
mustangpalmer1911
Gold Member

Post by mustangpalmer1911 »

For some reason the futon inspired me to do a rocking chair. Anyone have any plans for a mission style rocking chair?
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Almost every house can use another bookcase with adjustable shelves. The quality of bookcase units at the "big boxes" is appalling. Another plus is that you can design your bookcase to fit into a specific location.

While seemingly simple, this is a project that challenges one to cut boards to exact length and squareness. Your dado blade will also get use, as well as using the Shopsmith in drill press mode..
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

If you need them, I would start out with cabinets and storage units for the shop.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

SDSSmith wrote:If you need them, I would start out with cabinets and storage units for the shop.
Not to mention storage under the SS for all the goodies
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

I think my first projects were an assortment of Bird Houses.
They are small and easy to work with, the end results are very forgiving as errors just appear to be fanciful artistic impressions.
It gives you a chance to work with basic cuts, mitters, and even some fancy joinery if you dare.
Just remember to be safe and enjoy.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
globaltrade
Bronze Member

hi

Post by globaltrade »

i am new there!
aloibl
Gold Member

Post by aloibl »

I agree with SDSSmith. Getting organized in your shop will help you be more efficient later. My shop is my garage so the first thing I did was go to the ceiling with tool/wood storage along with a space for my Shopsmith to fit. Put in some peg board and recently made up a table saw blade storage bin to keep my blades out of harms way.
Alan - Austin, Texas

Shopsmith Mark V (1984), Bandsaw, Joiner, Belt sander, jig saw, planer, router table, biscuit jointer, Porter jig,