B & D grinder - Exceptional find

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

allandcarr
Bronze Member

B & D grinder - Exceptional find

Post by allandcarr »

I found what appears to be an old B&D Floor Model Grinder/Polisher at a yard sale (was a steal at $25.00) and trying to get any info I can on it. The metal tag on the back of the motor contains the folling info: B&D #74, 115 volys-10amps, phase 1, cycles 50/60/ 3/4 HP, 0/3600 RPM, Serial # 415583. This machine runs GREAT....smooth with no or very little run out and quiet as a mouse. It runs so good it doesn't want to stop. It takes literatelly minutes for it to wind down to a stop. I am looking to refurb it and am trying to find any manuals or any info I can regarding this unit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Allan
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Looks like it was made by "Van Dorn electric tool co."

Here is a link to get you started.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/de ... =101&tab=4

catalog link.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/de ... 1746&tab=3

I am going to guess (and just a guess) that an industrial type grinder like yours did not have an owners manual.
"Prove to all the world Metal rules the land"
-Judas Priest, Heavy Duty.
allandcarr
Bronze Member

Post by allandcarr »

Thanks Cincinnati, that is an excellent site and I did see several photos that looked exactly like the one I have.
dforeman
Gold Member

Post by dforeman »

Great find. A tool from back in the day when B&D used to make real industrial quality tools. Unfortunately though, replacement parts will be difficult to find because B&D no longer manufactures them. However, you maybe able to find aftermarket parts. Plus, there is always Ebay.

I bought something similar a couple years ago. A heavy duty B&D 6" circular saw that was made back in the 50's for builders. The darned thing was like brand new. Had never been used and still in the orriginal carrying case. All I had to do was replace the electric cord because it was spliting up from dry rot. But, from what I was able to find they had discontinued this model in "59" and they no longer manufacture replacement parts.