Shopsmith Digital Caliper

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Digital Caliper

Post by ryanbp01 »

I ordered this about a month ago and I really like this. The digital readout feature is really nice, saving the time to fiddle with reading glasses. This is one measurement device I would highly recommend if you don't already have one.
BPR
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

I just got one from the recent Sale catalog. Seems like a great value!

Thanks,
Chris
rdewinter
Gold Member

shopsmith calipher

Post by rdewinter »

I got one for Christmas and really like how easy it is to use. Works great for duplicating and tool set up.
timster68
Gold Member

Post by timster68 »

Has anyone tried the Wixey digital caliper? Supposdly it displays both fractions and decimals at the same time and it doesn't round up/down like other digital calipers. I'm debating getting one of the Wixeys as I have their digital angle and digital height gauge.

-Tim
rdubbs
Gold Member

Post by rdubbs »

The Wixey digital caliper appears to use the same measurement module as the height guage. It always displays the digital measurement, and then displays the fractional measurement if it is within 0.002" of the fraction.
Rick Dubbs
2004 520 w/bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC 3300, Universal Lathe Tool Rest, Talon chuck, & Lathe Duplicator
timster68
Gold Member

Post by timster68 »

Nick has mentioned several times on the Sawdust sessions, "Close enough for government work". About what amount is he talking about, .001, or something else? Just curious.....

-Tim
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Since I can't convert 1/64 inch into thousands, I'll answer this way. "Close enough for government" is less than a smidgeon. I know this because my Dad used to say "If I move it a smidgeon, it should be close enough for government work".
Doug
Greenville, SC
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I personally cannot vouch for what is "close enough for government work". I have personally heard that expression used when referring to work that I would not have accepted. Kind of goes along with "I can't see it from my house", or "Looks good from here" where "here" is any place far enough away that you can't see "it".

I think that Nick is probably referring to a very close tolerance;) .
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

Close enough for government work?....

Definition of an elephant... a mouse built to government specifications. :D
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies