Sawdust Session #7

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Nick or Drew
Has anyone figured out why I couldn't sign in?

As far as I know I did nothing different but I must have tried 20-30 times, then finally at the point I was totally frustrated and ready to give up it let me in. I tried every combination of capitals and lower case. I tried using just initials, I tried everything I could think of.

Perhaps on the confirmation besides giving the confirmation you could give the exact name and E-mail address your expecting. I couldn't remember if I registered with just my initial E. or Ed or Edward. Then I tried with capitals and with small letters.

Either there was a glitch or I finally hit the right combination. Again had the confirmation E-mail carried the expected combination it would have been nothing more than copying it.

Also if there is a problem there is no way to tell anyone. Would it be possible to have someone at a help E-mail address or phone number that would be available to provide instant access help?
admin
Gold Member

Email Confirmation

Post by admin »

The email sent after signing up has the first name in it, "Dear: Name"
and the email address that was registered is where it is sent. I will add the last name so it will say "Dear: First Name Last Name" and they will appear exactly how they should be typed in at the login.
Shopsmith I.T.
dusty
Platinum Member

Sawdust Session - Registration

Post by dusty »

ed

It is possible to register for the Sawdust Sessions using any name and any valid web address. Then when you attempt to enter the classroom, you must do so with exactly the same name and address.

If you committed a typo at registration - you must commit that same typo when attempting to enter the classroom.

Could this be what happened to you but you didn't know what typo to commit in order to enter??

Registration is open for Sawdust Session #8.

After registering you get a confirmation (to which you have just spoken). If after registering, you go right back and try to enter the classroom - you should be allowed in but you will be greeted with "Welcome to the Shopsmith Chat. No one has said anything yet". The screen will be blank and the blackboard will contain the last session. The chat room will be active. If anyone else is there, you can chat with them.

I THINK that this all is a valid indication that you have been registered and will be allowed in on class day.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

Nick wrote:Fixed.
Fixed? I can't seem to get the link posted earlier in this thread to work.

Paul
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

admin wrote:The email sent after signing up has the first name in it, "Dear: Name"
and the email address that was registered is where it is sent. I will add the last name so it will say "Dear: First Name Last Name" and they will appear exactly how they should be typed in at the login.
Okay it is happening right now.
I regisitered for Session #8
Got my confirmation and I tried to sign on
Using the name and Email address in the confirmation and I get the message that the name and email combination are not recognized.
Ed
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Okay it is happening right now.
I regisitered for Session #8
Got my confirmation and I tried to sign on
Using the name and Email address in the confirmation and I get the message that the name and email combination are not recognized.
Ed

I finally got in and I now know the problem I was having. My email address offically has capital letters in it ( for what ever that is worth). On every other system they either ignore the capital or don't have a problem but on the admission to the classroom you can't use capitals in the e-mail address.

I tried every combination I could come up with and finally found if I typed my e-mail in all lower case it worked.

Shopsmith might be wise to make that note or include the exact name and email address as they expect to see it in the confirmation letter.

I also plead of a help email or phone number. You feel mighty helpless standing outside pounding on the classroom door when no one will open or answer it.
Ed
admin
Gold Member

Chat Room

Post by admin »

Ed
you can access the chat room w/o signing in and ask for help there on saturdays. I'll give a class roster to Drew so they can assist.

link to chatroom
http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/lace2/index.php
Shopsmith I.T.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Fixed? I can't seem to get the link posted earlier in this thread to work.

The link you posted was incorrect, Paul. It pointed to a non-existent folder. Go to the Sawdust Session; click on the link on the Blackboard. It's been altered to point to the correct folder.

With all good wishes,
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

admin wrote:Ed
you can access the chat room w/o signing in and ask for help there on saturdays. I'll give a class roster to Drew so they can assist.

link to chatroom
http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/lace2/index.php
Nick
That is super! Let me ask a question/suggestion, after this thread is long forgotten, the information about help being available via the chat would would be good to know.

Would it be possible to include that info/link on the classroom door page?

When you start online academy classes a "customer" could get very frustrated very quickly not being able to get in and not having someone he could contact to resolve the problem. I know I felt very alone Saturday morning when I was trying to get in and nothing was working. I could see the time slipping away and frustration was building. I could only imagine how I would have felt had I paid for it and I was missing it because I couldn't get in. The chatroom answer solution is excellent but I would have to know about it to use it.
Ed
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Ed, I see where you're going with this. I'll put a link to the chat room on the "Classroom Door" page so people who have problems getting in can contact us via chat.

With all good wishes,