New (to me) 10ER and questions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chipmaster
Gold Member

New (to me) 10ER and questions

Post by chipmaster »

Hello,

Just purchased a 10ER off Craigslist. Should be pictured if I worked this thing right. I am in love with the beast. I have a couple of newbie questions:

1 - Previous owner used grease on the ways. Did a great job of preserving them, but am I correct that it's better to clean that off and go with wax or some such? Any specific recommendations on wax (or other treatment)? I've used Bostich Topcoat on table saws before and thought I might use that.

2 - When I first looked at the machine, the owner wasn't there and his daughter showed it to me. The headstock was frozen. Since then, he got it free, and he said he "repacked the bearings." I thought these were sealed bearings. What am I missing?

3 - On Ebay, there is a bearing kit offered for $50. The vendor will add motor bearings for $15. Is that a good deal, or am I better off elsewhere?

4 - Is there a tutorial thread on the 2-bearing modification I've read about?

Thanks for looking.

v/r,

Rick
[ATTACH]14841[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Shopsmith resized.JPG
Shopsmith resized.JPG (363.74 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="chipmaster"]Hello,

Just purchased a 10ER off Craigslist. Should be pictured if I worked this thing right. I am in love with the beast. I have a couple of newbie questions:

1 - Previous owner used grease on the ways. Did a great job of preserving them, but am I correct that it's better to clean that off and go with wax or some such? Any specific recommendations on wax (or other treatment)? I've used Bostich Topcoat on table saws before and thought I might use that. Johnson's ORIGINAL paste wax

2 - When I first looked at the machine, the owner wasn't there and his daughter showed it to me. The headstock was frozen. Since then, he got it free, and he said he "repacked the bearings." I thought these were sealed bearings. What am I missing? More than likely the wedge was 'stuck' - greasing would fix that. Yes the 'bearings' are sealed.

3 - On Ebay, there is a bearing kit offered for $50. The vendor will add motor bearings for $15. Is that a good deal, or am I better off elsewhere? Have you determined that you need new bearings?

4 - Is there a tutorial thread on the 2-bearing modification I've read about?

Bill Mayo is the one you need to get with re 'that'. He may respond.]

P.S. IIRC, the model 10 already has a dual bearing quill. Actually it really does not need it with the metal splined pulley and shaft.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chipmaster
Gold Member

Post by chipmaster »

JPG -

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure whether it needs new bearings or not. Seems pretty smooth to me, but it wouldn't pass the "nickel-on-edge" test people here have posted about.

v/r,

Rick
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

The bearing kit on E-Bay may or may not be a good price depending on the quality of the bearings. If they're Chinese-made bearings, they're overpriced.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
chipmaster
Gold Member

Post by chipmaster »

When I looked up 6203 bearings, I found them from $2 to $8 apiece. They don't say where they're made. Any particular brands recommended?
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

SKF is a decent brand. The bearing you want likely is a 6203-10, which has a 5/8" inner diameter. A plain 6203 has a metric ID of 17mm. If you're not particular about brand, here's one place to look http://www.vxb.com/ or someone mentioned this place in another thread -- http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com , or try a local bearing shop.

I've gotten bearings from USA Bearings and installed them on a Mark V, but haven't used them enough to determine their longevity. They were made in China, but cost under $2 each.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Here is another resource highly respected in the 10ER community:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MbGbefGFDQ
Chris
billmayo
Platinum Member

10E/10ER Guru

Post by billmayo »

nuhobby wrote:Here is another resource highly respected in the 10ER community:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MbGbefGFDQ
Yes, Skip Campbell is the owner and moderator or the Yahoo Group "Shopsmith10ERusers". He is an outstanding source for any 10E/10ER questions and stock some replacement parts. He has always quickly responded to any question that I have asked and offered a solution. A super outstanding person to deal with.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

billmayo wrote:Yes, Skip Campbell is the owner and moderator or the Yahoo Group "Shopsmith10ERusers". He is an outstanding source for any 10E/10ER questions and stock some replacement parts. He has always quickly responded to any question that I have asked and offered a solution. A super outstanding person to deal with.
The same can be said about Bill Mayo as well!!!!!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chipmaster
Gold Member

Post by chipmaster »

Mr. Campbell is indeed an excellent resource. I previously stumbled upon another of his videos showcasing his own restored 10ER but I had not seen this tutorial before. Thanks for the tip! Pertinent piece from the text accompanying the video: "I recommend using Fafnir 202KLL3 bearings, no substitutes." Sounds good to me!

Here's another question: I just got my scroll saw running tonight. It has some sort of sacrificial material that acts as a blade guide/cooling block. Mine barely moves in the shaft, I suspect because of age turning it brittle. Is there a replacement source out there?

Appreciate the helpful chime-ins so far.

v/r,

Rick
[ATTACH]14849[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Shopsmith scrollsaw (4) resized.JPG
Shopsmith scrollsaw (4) resized.JPG (242.74 KiB) Viewed 2526 times