New (to me) 10ER and questions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chipmaster wrote:Mr. Campbell is indeed an excellent resource. I previously stumbled upon another of his videos showcasing his own restored 10ER but I had not seen this tutorial before. Thanks for the tip! Pertinent piece from the text accompanying the video: "I recommend using Fafnir 202KLL3 bearings, no substitutes." Sounds good to me!

Here's another question: I just got my scroll saw running tonight. It has some sort of sacrificial material that acts as a blade guide/cooling block. Mine barely moves in the shaft, I suspect because of age turning it brittle. Is there a replacement source out there?

Appreciate the helpful chime-ins so far.

v/r,

Rick

FWIW, that is a 'jig' saw. Did you adjust the blade tension(that engages the return spring that pulls the blade up). I am not familiar with that model, but as I understand it, it is slightly better than 'nothing'.:D I do not know why it has that 'reputation'.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chipmaster
Gold Member

Post by chipmaster »

Whoa! Easy on the criticism of my baby! The jig/scroll saw is running fine. I'm just wondering about this little backing cylinder that was hard to adjust because (I think) it has outlived its pliability. I'll post a close-up pic when able.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

chipmaster wrote:Mr. Campbell is indeed an excellent resource. I previously stumbled upon another of his videos showcasing his own restored 10ER but I had not seen this tutorial before. Thanks for the tip! Pertinent piece from the text accompanying the video: "I recommend using Fafnir 202KLL3 bearings, no substitutes." Sounds good to me!

Here's another question: I just got my scroll saw running tonight. It has some sort of sacrificial material that acts as a blade guide/cooling block. Mine barely moves in the shaft, I suspect because of age turning it brittle. Is there a replacement source out there?

Appreciate the helpful chime-ins so far.

v/r,

Rick
Be aware that a good premimum bearing is not cheap. I find most of these bearings are from old stock and not currently made anymore. I have done a lot of high speed bearing testing with my jig and find most bearing sourses offer inferier bearings (poor motor grade). I seem to lose each bearing company (out of business) which makes outstanding bearings so I have been able to order large quality of these bearings. I am currently looking for higher quality bearings reasonble priced but have settled for bearings from http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com as they tested the best for the price charged. Most ceramic bearings test outstanding but the $50-$100 per bearing is beyond my bugdet.

I have a few 10ER jig saws available along with parts so if you can send me a clear picture of the item in question by Email, annbill.mayo@comcast.net, I may be able to help you.

I am in the process of totally rearranging my shop and hope to have my metal lathes in production within the next week. We found more Shopsmith additional parts and items than I knew I have stored. Doubling my shop storage and lighting plus moving most of my equipment to make better use of it. If anyone has a Shopsmith need or want, I may very well have it available now. My health has improved so much (been really blessed) to where I am getting more time in my shop than in the past 20 years and feeling better.

If I owe anyone any instructions, parts, answers, please let me know.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
chipmaster
Gold Member

Old Shopsmith document scans

Post by chipmaster »

My new 10ER came with all the original documentation plus a collection of odds and ends such as issues of "Shopsmith Shavings." I may scan a few of these if I'm not reinventing the wheel. Does someone already have these archived somewhere already?

I'm attaching a scan of the speed reference chart I have as a sample. Okay, upload failed. Tried resizing, etc. Argh.

Bill - Those bearings would be out of my budget also! I am glad to hear you are up and around. If you've got a stock of old parts, I would be interested in pricing one of those variable speed attachments I've seen.

v/r,

Rick
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

chipmaster wrote:My new 10ER came with all the original documentation plus a collection of odds and ends such as issues of "Shopsmith Shavings." I may scan a few of these if I'm not reinventing the wheel. Does someone already have these archived somewhere already?

I'm attaching a scan of the speed reference chart I have as a sample. Okay, upload failed. Tried resizing, etc. Argh.

Bill - Those bearings would be out of my budget also! I am glad to hear you are up and around. If you've got a stock of old parts, I would be interested in pricing one of those variable speed attachments I've seen.

v/r,

Rick
Argh must mean the scan did not work.:eek: :rolleyes:
MarkFive510
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chipmaster wrote:My new 10ER came with all the original documentation plus a collection of odds and ends such as issues of "Shopsmith Shavings." I may scan a few of these if I'm not reinventing the wheel. Does someone already have these archived somewhere already?

v/r,

Rick

Did not mean to 'criticize' your baby!:o Was just passing others 'opinion'.

Try scanning to a pdf, then attaching the pdf.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chipmaster
Gold Member

Scan retry and progress pics.

Post by chipmaster »

Okay, that worked.

Also uploading:

- Close-up of cooling block/blade guide that is acting stubborn
[ATTACH]14878[/ATTACH]
- Picture of stripped jigsaw
[ATTACH]14879[/ATTACH]
- Picture of painted jigsaw
[ATTACH]14880[/ATTACH]

I used the self-etching primer someone here recommended, then Rustoleum hammered finish light blue. I was already a fan of the hammered finish paint. I'm really pleased with the way it came out. With the weekend done, not sure how soon I will have it reassembled and running again.

v/r,

Rick
Attachments
Shopsmith 10ER speed reference chart 2.pdf
(148.29 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
Cooling block close-up.JPG
Cooling block close-up.JPG (233.92 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
Jigsaw stripped.JPG
Jigsaw stripped.JPG (254.08 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Jigsaw painted.JPG
Jigsaw painted.JPG (293.97 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
chipmaster
Gold Member

60 years of Christmas cheer!

Post by chipmaster »

The attached scan is of the original receipt for my 10ER. A down payment was made 7 Dec 1950 on it, and I love the fact there's a handwritten note "Please deliver in time for Xmas." Since I consider it my own Christmas present (to myself) this year, it's as though I'm carrying on a tradition with the machine.

I think the document is also cool because of the original prices shown. The whole thing, plus a jig saw, bench ends, motor, etc. cost $260.49. It's interesting to me also that the machine and the motor were separate items. Just a cool piece of history.

v/r,

Rick

[ATTACH]14881[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Shopsmith 10ER original receipt.pdf
(656.65 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That 'cooling block' is a phenolic like rod that backs up the blade. The groove is either due to wear or a po cut it intentionally.

Great paint job etc.!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chipmaster
Gold Member

Scrollsaw up and running again

Post by chipmaster »

The saw is running much smoother after all the internals were cleaned, in some cases polished, and oiled with sewing machine oil.

[ATTACH]14917[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2011 11 29 SS Scrollsaw reassembled (5) resized.JPG
2011 11 29 SS Scrollsaw reassembled (5) resized.JPG (257.45 KiB) Viewed 2537 times