New (to me) 10ER and questions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I have one of those jigsaws, but I've never used it. I have an issue with the coupler that I haven't resolved yet. I'm also missing the "phenolic like rod that backs up the blade." When I got mine (in VERY bad shape) it had what looked like a piece of bamboo in place of that rod and it crumbled during disassembly.

I do hope to get mine fully functional, eventually. What kind of blades did you get for it?

Oh, and your restoration looks great!
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
chipmaster
Gold Member

Fafner bearings

Post by chipmaster »

For anyone interested, I got a quote from the following distributor (used the live chat option at the website) for the Fafner bearings Skip Campbell recommends:

http://www.daltonbearing.com/Bearings/B ... rings.aspx

The quote was $29.95 each.

I still haven't decided whether mine needs them. The machine keeps getting smoother as I replace gummed grease with new grease and machine oil. Doesn't seem to have play in it, but I'm just checking it by feel.

v/r,

Rick
chipmaster
Gold Member

Scrollsaw blades

Post by chipmaster »

heathicus wrote:What kind of blades did you get for it?

Oh, and your restoration looks great!
Thanks for the compliment! I'm using standard blades that the PO supplied--Deltas. I'm not satisfied with the way they're matching up with the mounting blocks. Still fiddling. It almost appears as though the blades are supposed to have holes in them. Do they make them that way?

v/r,

Rick
chipmaster
Gold Member

First turning project

Post by chipmaster »

Spent the day today cleaning all the lathe parts on the SS and the tools, building a sharpening jig, and sharpening a few of the chisels. The PO threw in a nice set of Disston chisels. The pawn is my first turning--just scrap pine, but I have in mind turning/carving a whole set out of something better.

[ATTACH]14948[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2011 12 01 First Turning Project (4) resized.JPG
2011 12 01 First Turning Project (4) resized.JPG (234.67 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Guys, that phenolic rod is readily available, and from Grainger. (If my memory serves me)

A while ago, I got 3 or 4, 3 foot rods for $20 or so.

It's 1/4 inch phenolic rod.

Haven't used the jigsaw, since I adapted a MkV headrest to my ER, and use that to mount my bandsaw.

steve
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

chipmaster wrote:Thanks for the compliment! I'm using standard blades that the PO supplied--Deltas. I'm not satisfied with the way they're matching up with the mounting blocks. Still fiddling. It almost appears as though the blades are supposed to have holes in them. Do they make them that way?

v/r,

Rick
Those are most likely coping saw blades, that someone has punched the pins out of.

That is a GREAT looking restore on the jigsaw!

steve
chipmaster
Gold Member

Saw blades

Post by chipmaster »

Steve,

The blades were right; my reassembly was wrong. I had mounted the bottom thingie (sorry for the technical term) backwards. Turns out when you mount it the right way, there's an actual hole for the set screw to go into, so there's no alignment guesswork. And, the blades tighten correctly. All's well that ends well.

Thanks for the kind words on the jigsaw restoration. I really like it. I just bought a REAL restoration project, which I'm posting on a new thread. Plans are that this one will probably have the jigsaw mounted somewhat permanently, and the rest of the machine will serve as storage for other bits and pieces.

v/r,

Rick
tketzer1
Silver Member

Re: New (to me) 10ER and questions

Post by tketzer1 »

What kind of blade are you using and how long is it?

Tom
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

tketzer1 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:43 pm What kind of blade are you using and how long is it?

Tom
5" pinless scroll saw blades.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
tketzer1
Silver Member

Post by tketzer1 »

Thanks! Any specific manufacturer?