The Versitile Belt Sander

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

The Versitile Belt Sander

Post by charlese »

Couldn't help but notice in another thread - sometimes Belt Sanders are in the corner gathering more dust than they are making. This is rather a shame, for this tool is really more versatile than first blush.

I not only use mine for level sanding of blocks, but also use it for things like sanding triangular corners on boxes, sanding small radius's, sharpening tools and large radius sanding of rounded (ellipsoid) surfaces. I've even used it for rounding the ends of steel rods and touching up flat blade screwdrivers..

Don't overlook the Belt Sander for using the Shopsmith Sharpening guide to sharpen and shape lathe tools. The Support table offers wonderful support for the Sharpening guide - and I feel the belt sander's platform offers an improved sanding base as compared to the disk or strip sanders. The vertical platform jig shown in the previous Sawdust Session gives another added dimension to this tool.

If you already have one - try using it for additional uses. If not - look into it as something you might need.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

charlese wrote:Don't overlook the Belt Sander for using the Shopsmith Sharpening guide to sharpen and shape lathe tools. The Support table offers wonderful support for the Sharpening guide - and I feel the belt sander's platform offers an improved sanding base as compared to the disk or strip sanders. The vertical platform jig shown in the previous Sawdust Session gives another added dimension to this tool.

If you already have one - try using it for additional uses. If not - look into it as something you might need.
Charlese,
Do you sharpen your chisels with an aluminum oxide belt like SS recommends with the sharpening guide? I don't have a SS belt sander, but if I had more room it would certainly be on my wish list.

Bruce
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I think you will find it was me who has the belt sander doing mostly dust collection... Of course there was a time when that was not the case. It is just that now I have so many options of ways doing things I don't use it much.

The strip sander I use a lot more and would even use more except that it always seems to be set up in the opposite use then what I need at the moment... Stripsander vs Sharpening Whiz.

I've never tried the sharpening guide on the belt sander, I have almost always used it with the disk sander, and a couple of times on the strip sander. One of the books or papers I have on sharpening shows the belt sander in use that way but I just never tried it.

I have not viewed the hands-online for the belt sander yet but I did build several jigs out of the various PTWFE and they do extend the uses and functions. I'll have to see what the new jig looks like that Nick did.

When I first bought into shopsmith I got the belt sander and jig saw. They faired better in my limited shop tool collection then either of them do now. It is more of the "options" you pick up and use and what projects you are doing that dictates the amount of use for me. I do want it in my shop and am glad I have it but if I were buying today it would be down the list a good long way.

If I ever do get inspired I have several jigs sketched in my notebook that I'd like to build and test.... and a few I've gotten from others that look interesting. The problem is having enough time for all the wood working I'd like to do.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

reible wrote:"...I've never tried the sharpening guide on the belt sander, I have almost always used it with the disk sander, and a couple of times on the strip sander. One of the books or papers I have on sharpening shows the belt sander in use that way but I just never tried it..."
Ed
It is in PTWFE. Forgot the page, but there is a short description and a photo near the front of the discussion on "Sharpening Guide"

I believe every good thing you have to say about the Strip Sander. I just don't have one.:)
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Bruce wrote:Charlese,
Do you sharpen your chisels with an aluminum oxide belt like SS recommends with the sharpening guide? I don't have a SS belt sander, but if I had more room it would certainly be on my wish list.
Bruce
Yes, Fine grit. Need to smooth out the sanding lines with a diamond pad, but doesn't take a long time.:)

Whoops! I should have said 150grit - Ultra Fine from SS
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Chuck:

Interesting post, makes one have to think about all those things we buy but then forget about.

I have an older bench top Craftsman/disk sander that sits in the corner just as you mentioned. Sort of out of sight, out of mind. I never seem to find much use for it but lately used it to flatten out the tops of some poorly sawn bread knives.

I wouldn't mind having the Shopsmith version as it has a larger belt and fence, but cost is a factor.

John