Quick help with lathe set up

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edward
Gold Member

Quick help with lathe set up

Post by edward »

I've searched and haven't really found the answer to my questions. I'm setting up my used Mark V greenie, bought a few years ago, for the lathe for the first time. I have the lathe drive center, but no lathe center for the other side. I know someone selling a lathe cup center, and I'm thinking of picking it up, but the SS site says I need #2 morse tenon. All I have is the round, adjustable wheel that fits in the headstock. I was hoping the cup center would just fit into that. Yes? No? What do I need?

Thanks.
Violence is not violent enough. -- Zizek :confused:
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

Shown here, the lathe center with #2MT (287) fits in the eccentric (288) which in turn is held in the tailstock (290) by a set screw.

Have fun!
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

Another link that you may find helpful is the Shopsmith lathe set-up and use from "Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone" below:

http://www.shopsmith.com/academy/latheturning/index.htm
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
edward
Gold Member

Post by edward »

Yes, people. Yes, yes, yes. Merry Christmas.
Violence is not violent enough. -- Zizek :confused: