Shopsmith Power Cord

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Power Cord

Post by dusty »

is real easy to replace. It is also real easy to screwup. I'm again lucky in that no significant damage occurred. The whirling parts inside the headstock did somehow shorten one of the wires to the switch.

I have been using an extension cord because the Shopsmith is just a little bit (three feet) too far away from the outlet. Occasionally, I'd grab the wrong (16ga) extension cord so I decided to eliminate that possibility.

I pulled the original cord off and purchased wire (14ga) and connectors to make one about two feet longer than required. All went well. Did that about two weeks ago. I have used the Shopsmith every day since.

Yesterday I turned it on and got smoke, a few sparks and shut down. I don't know exactly what happened but somehow the hot lead got entangled with something inside the headstock. There are moving parts in there and the wires don't belong in the same space as those parts. That is why there is a plastic bracket in there; to hold and route the wires safely. It is a pain to get those wires into the bracket but the effort is worth it.

This time I cut about three inches off the power cord (hot wire and return), installed a couple tie wraps, made sure the wires were routed thru the retaining bracket and installed a new switch. All works well as long as the wires and the mechanics don't both occupy the same space.

Another lesson learned. Pay attention, dummy.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

[quote="dusty"]is real easy to replace. It is also real easy to screwup. I'm again lucky in that no significant damage occurred. The whirling parts inside the headstock did somehow shorten one of the wires to the switch.

I have been using an extension cord because the Shopsmith is just a little bit (three feet) too far away from the outlet. Occasionally, I'd grab the wrong (16ga) extension cord so I decided to eliminate that possibility.

I pulled the original cord off and purchased wire (14ga) and connectors to make one about two feet longer than required. All went well. Did that about two weeks ago. I have used the Shopsmith every day since.

Yesterday I turned it on and got smoke, a few sparks and shut down. I don't know exactly what happened but somehow the hot lead got entangled with something inside the headstock. There are moving parts in there and the wires don't belong in the same space as those parts. That is why there is a plastic bracket in there]

Dusty
I replaced my cord about a year or so ago but I used 12 gauge and I believe it made the fantastic improvement.

I have no real way of measuring any difference, so this is all just perception. But the change from what I was using the standard 14 gauge power cord with a 25-35 foot 12 gauge extension to my new setup of a 20ft 12 gauge power cord seems to have made a huge difference in the way my machine runs.

Ed
billmayo
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Power Cord

Post by billmayo »

Every extra foot of extension/power cord appears to reduces the voltage available for the motor. 10 foot is the maximum length I use and recommend for the 14 gauge power cord. I would recommend installing a dedicated 20 Amp #12 wire outlet before using any more extension cords or go to a single #12 gauge power cord. Extra male/female plugs in the power line appears to hurt the available power. I find using a good grade of #14 twisted wire to rewire the motor leads also helps the motor power.

To help prevent the power wires from contacting internal moving parts, I rewire using only the black/blue/brown wires going to the switch. See the lastest Shopsmith MKV Motor Replacement instructions for the wiring diagram and recommendation. Using only 2 wires makes it easy to place them inside the plastic clip and I always use insulated ends on all the wires and plenty of plastic ties. This leaves the other set of switch connectors available for later use.

These changes work for the 1 1/8 HP motor and seems to give additional power to the 3/4 HP motors where it is needed.

Bill Mayo
Ed in Tampa wrote:Dusty
I replaced my cord about a year or so ago but I used 12 gauge and I believe it made the fantastic improvement.

I have no real way of measuring any difference, so this is all just perception. But the change from what I was using the standard 14 gauge power cord with a 25-35 foot 12 gauge extension to my new setup of a 20ft 12 gauge power cord seems to have made a huge difference in the way my machine runs.

Ed