Holes to be drilled 1 5/16" apart

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BigSky
Gold Member

Holes to be drilled 1 5/16" apart

Post by BigSky »

I was asked to drill a series of holes for a friend and neighbor. The holes were to be 5/16" in diameter and 1 5/16" apart. I said I could do that and asked if he was going to stay while I did that. NO, he had a tight schedule and was going to get supplies for his project.

The task turned out to be 7 holes in each of five pieces of wood. I decided that the best way was using the Shop Smith in the drill mode. I set the fence for the correct distance from the edge and began drilling. Before I started drilling I had cut six spacers each 1 5/16 wide being very careful to make them all exact. I set the stop block on the fence and lined up all six spacers side by side. I located the first hole, slid the spacers up tight against the end of the piece to be drilled and locked the stop block. Double checked the location of the first hole and drilled it. I then removed one spacer and drilled the next hole, etc, etc. Changed pieces and did the rest. I was pretty pleased.

He was not. The holes were too far apart. There was exactly 1" between the edges of each hole. I had drilled the holes 1 5/16" center to center. He wanted 1 5/16" in the island between the holes.

He was ticked and gathered up his pieces and left saying on the way out that he would get this done by some one who could follow instructions.

Based on what I have said here, did I screw up or did he give me incorrect instructions. I feel bad but after the way he stormed out of here I think that I am down one neighber.
MarkFive510
major_bob
Gold Member

Post by major_bob »

On the bright side, in MT "neighbors" are usually 50 miles away. :)

BTW, I probably would have done exactly the same as you did.
Bob
LTC, US Army
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Hoo-ah !
bffulgham
Gold Member

Post by bffulgham »

Sounds to me like the person asking for the favor was a little short on information he provided. I would have done the center-to-center measurement as well. Don't think I would spend much time worrying about it.....not worth the energy ;)
Bud F.
1998 Mark V 510 bought used 2006, Jointer, 2 Bandsaws, ca 1960 Yuba SawSmith RAS
Projects and "stuff": http://www.bfulgham.com/JAlbum/Woodworking_Index/
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Well Big Sky, with an attitude like he has, I'd count my blessings that he went off in a snit. If he didn't have the time to hang around while YOU did the work, he deserves what he received. If he comes back, have him lay out the holes where he wants them and then point him toward the drill press. Perhaps then he'd appreciate your effort.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

It is my opinion that the location of a hole or is typically defined based on its center and not by its edge. Therefore, as stated, I believe you did what you were asked to do.

Two adjacent holes, located 1 5/16" apart have a land between them that is 1" as measured edge to edge on a line passing through both centers.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Consider your self fortunate to have 'discovered' his shortcomings on a minor project.

The fact that you were asked to perform a relatively 'simple' task should have sent up warning flags, but that is hindsight at this point.

Hopefully you both learned from this.

I would have told him to find out HOW to GIVE ACCURATE INSTRUCTIONS before requesting any more help!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I gather that the guy asking the favor is not a wood worker. He may have thought he was giving clear and accurate instructions.

I need two holes drilled. They should be 1 5/16" apart (measured from where to where).

I believe the convention is center to center. For this fellow it was apparently edge to edge.

I am sorta familiar with the problems that can arise when one attempts to perform wood working tasks based on verbal instructions. I have redone many items because I did not fully understand what she had told me.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

I'm with all of the previous posters, but that is how we think, center to center.

A non-woodworker may think differently and unfortunately it sounds like that is what happened here.

John
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hole spacing is always center to center in normal circumstances. So the customer does not know standard convention which is why he wanted someone else to do it. If edge to edge spacing is important it is usually when the holes are different sizes. However this would be an other than normal consideration. We know what they say " a picture is worth a thousand words".
Bill V
mathman
Silver Member

Post by mathman »

I've done metal work for years, and trust me center to center is standard for metal, too. Of course, angry, ignorant people are pretty common, too. Forget him.