Catalog came today!

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Still have not gotten mine but I did look at the PDF and am confused by the reference on page 33 to page 39 and on page 39 to page 33 with respect to the support stand to roller stand upgrade. I have one of the older support tables and am interested but the pages are just circular.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

same thing happened to me (right name wrong address). I was told they were aware of the problem and that they are taking up the issue with the printer.

BPR
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Checked the name on my catalog and it was wrong also. I hope this isn't an indication of the SS customer list. From the little bit I know about business I understand an accurate customer list is a treasure that is essential to a successful business.

I will say I like the new catalog, especially the thicker front and back cover. It came through the mail unscathed and looking good.

I am concerned about the prices, I was thinking of ordering another Extension table.
Of course being cheap I was trying to figure the cheapest way.

On page 33 they show the 510 floating tables reg $102.21 sale priced at $86.88. I thought maybe order this and then order a Extension Table base. But then it dawned on me I have 520. In any case remembering the price I finally got to page 76 where the 510 floating table is listed as $95.21. At the top of the page there is a note that says the prices reflects a 15% savings. Doing a little math that means the regular price is $112. I don't know why there are four prices for what I think is the same thing but it makes me question the price of the 520 extensiion table priced at $189.80 on page 77.

In any case $189.80 in my book is a little high, so I will wait a while longer for my second extension table.
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Catalog came today

Post by dusty »

First of all I want to encourage everyone to load the pdf catalog. With the catalog on your computer you can do searches that are very helpful. For example: search on floating table and the search tool will find every reference to floating table in the catalog.

Why all the different prices. Ed, you made reference to 510 vs 520 prices. Now I know that you are fully aware of the differences but that is in part what creates the apparent inconsistencies. Also, some are sales prices and some are list.

What I think the catalog should do is list (in one place) the price of a floating table and along with it price what it takes to make it into an extension table or a floating table and at the same time differentiate for a 500, 505, 510 and 520.

Now, you can do all of that with the existing catalog but one needs to be fully aware of all the idiosyncrasies of the 500,505, 510 and 520.

I THINK I now have a full blown 520 (after a couple upgrades) but if someone said NO, you are wrong, I wouldn't argue.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
admin
Gold Member

Name on catalog

Post by admin »

Folks,
Our customer list is good, and your orders will ship correctly. Our printing company, who we have used for years, had a MAJOR screw up to say the least. Nearly all of our catalogs mailed with the wrong name/address combination...which we found out was a result of our printer testing a new version of their ink-jet labeling software. This has never happened before and we are currently looking into how to deal with the problem and our printing company.
Shopsmith I.T.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

As much I use the computer I should probably load the catalog but I still prefer the hard copy, mainly to compare savings on e-mail specials and the like. Plus, its a lot easier to show family members what you would really want for Christmas.

I hope that Shopsmith could get the 2008 catalog into our hands sooner as well. While I realize some may prefer to do everything by computer there are times when computer accessibility isn't available or practical.

Well, the weather forecast around here calls for rain tomorrow. While the weather may by nasty outside, it is great weather inside for some woodworking. Since it will be a short work week for me, I'm really looking forward to four days in the workshop getting gifts made for Christmas.

Have a happy Thanksgiving,
BPR
berry
Platinum Member

Printer/Mailhouse

Post by berry »

admin wrote:Folks,
This has never happened before and we are currently looking into how to deal with the problem and our printing company.
You need assess the damage and then negotiate a settlement. Worst case, I'd expect them to reprint and re-mail on their dime. More than likely it isn't that bad. It sounds like many of us got the catalog but with someone else's name. How many customers didn't get it? What's the sales range you expect from a catalog like this? That's what you deduct from the invoice or have reprinted and mailed IF you can figure out who got left out.

In the future I'd suggest having 'proofs' of the addressing faxed to your office after they receive your database and run it through their software, for someone to verify. I'm surprised your not doing that. I can't remember the last time I worked with a client that didn't want addressing proofs. Also I'd have a number of catalogs pulled from the addressing and proofed (just mail those seperate) and of course 'seed' your list.

Just in case someone in management-land reads this it seems like a good time to address (no pun intended) electronic catalogs vs. dead tree catalogs. I MUCH MUCH prefer the old fashioned hard copy. I can read it anywhere, write notes to myself, mark items for purchase by folding over the corner, and it feels good to hold.

Thanks for listening.

berry
dusty
Platinum Member

Catalog came today

Post by dusty »

I prefer to receive a hard copy catalog myself.

However, I really like having the electronic version of the catalog. I have the Adobe suite which is really neat for sorting and searching.

For example: if you were going to order spares for all the set screws used in your equipment and you want a spares quantity equal to 30% of the quantity used. An Adobe search will tell you how many are installed.

Now, you can get this info without Adobe. Just sit down with your catalog and start reading and writing. Sooner or later you'll have the info required.

Thanks for the pdf copy, Shopsmith. I love it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Give me the old paper catalog anytime... I have a stack of them by my bed and where once I might have been reading tech journals or novels I now look at catalogs. Lots of flipped/folded back pages or notes added just makes them all the more useful.

Most places that have dropped me from the catalog list are unlikely to get an order... sure it cost them to send them but how many dollars of mine are they ever going to see again??? Yea about $0.

If I'm at the computer I can access lots of stuff and I do most of my ordering via the internet but I have not gotten to the place in life where I would want to do without paper catalogs.... maybe it is a throw back to the old Sears Wishbook days as a kid.

BTW I still haven't seen my copy... anyone got my name yet??

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Catalog

Post by dusty »

ed,

We used to use the old Sears wish book down the hill at the three holer. I hope you aren't still having to do that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty