Shipping SS accessories

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chettrick
Gold Member

Shipping SS accessories

Post by chettrick »

Hey gang
Just picked up a mint condition SS scroll saw for a very, very low price. My brother got it from his father in law. Problem is that I need to get it from St Louis area down to Florida.

I did the UPS online thing and a rough estimate is over $300 to ship, not including packing it up.

Any ideas on how to ship something that size without paying a fortune.

I would not mind going up for a visit but the gas for my truck would run me as much a shipping it. And I am not ready to make it up there yet.
albie
Gold Member

Shipping

Post by albie »

Gosh that sounds expensive. I am not sure what a scroll saw weighs.

I ship quite a lot for my business, so I calculated UPS from 63101 to central FL 32804 and got $114 for 150 lbs.
I would say you need to re-run your calculations...

Be better to find a snowbird coming down for the winter ;)

Al B
Al B
Shopsmith Greenie (my late Dad's); My 520, 6" Belt Sander, Bandsaw, Jointer, pro planer, scroll saw, Jig saw, strip sander, router table, OPR, dust collector, power station, & power stands
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

For things that heavy you are better off looking at a trucking company. The site below requires the starting and ending zipcode.

http://www.freightnshipping.com/?gclid= ... hgodLHE17g
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

Something doesn't sound right. I have shipped a complete 520 from the west coast to the east coast for under $300. If it is just the scroll saw (no stand) it should ship for around $50. I use FedEx and have been very pleased with their prices and service. What is the weight of your new scroll saw?
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

Don't forget about the USPS. If it weighs less then 70 LBS, and less then 100 inches in girth the Post Office will gladly ship it. Shipped Parcel Post and even insured would be a lot cheaper then $300.00. As a veteran who had many an item shipped to FPO addresses and a Postal Employee for 13 years I know I have had bigger items delivered.. You can go to http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepost ... atepostage for an estimate.
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Be careful how you pack it. My new scroll saw came partially disassembled, with the table well padded on the bottom of the box and the saw on top. the table trunion & base were also packed separately. This will also help it get into a slightly smaller box.
chettrick
Gold Member

Post by chettrick »

I thought the price was high but could not figure why, I don't know the dimensions so I guessed. I put the weight in at 35lbs. My brother stopped at the post office and they said 70.

Thanks again
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

That sounds much better. I have shipped complete ss for $175 using the post office. I just break it down into several boxes.