Lathe Chisel Grinding

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

johnmccrossen
Gold Member

Lathe Chisel Grinding

Post by johnmccrossen »

After taking a basic lathe class at a recent traveling academy, I have been trying to sharpen my new chisels by using the chisel grinding guide that came with my used MV. It's not as easy as it looked when Rick Davis (or Nick in the video) used it to sharpen their chisels. My question is on setting up the guide for grinding the skew.

The recommended setup in the academy class is 13 degrees on the left scale. I think this would end up with @ 33 degree bevel angle. The further the guide is rotated away from the disc in order to get to the setting, the more problem there is with interference with the mount for the shaper cutter and with getting the chisel to reach the disc.

I would appreciate any inputs (or close-up pictures of setups) from others who have had success with the set up and use of the grinding guide. I realize there are several other types of grinding attachments available but I would like to master this one if I can, especially since this is what is demonstrated in both the traveling academy and the hands-on videos.

Many thanks, John McCrossen
John McCrossen
Everett, Wa.
1954 Mk 5 SN 269454, 1955 Mk 5 SN 316013, 1960 Mk 5 SN 360792, 1962 Mk 5 SN 380102, Magna band saw, (2) jointers, (1) belt sander, (1) air compressor, (1) jig saw, (1) strip sander, (1) 20" scroll saw, DC 3300 dust collector, Sawsmith RAS, Craftsman table saw, 13" DeWalt planer, Triton 3 1/4 HP plunge router & table
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

It's possible the chisels are too short to sharpen with the guide at that angle.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I prefer using the chisel sharpener that goes with the strip sander. I think its a lot easier to use.
BPR
baysidebob17
Bronze Member

Post by baysidebob17 »

I also have the accessory for sharpening lathe chisels from Shopsmith. I am having the same problem with mine in that when used a according to instructuons the skew chisel is about 3/8" to short to reach the sanding disc. It is not only the skew I am having a problem with. Am I just not using this device correctly? Can anyone help me with this? It is really bugging me. Someone mentioned they used as in the video, but I don't recall getting a video with mine, is there a video available? Any help appreciated. Bob
johnmccrossen
Gold Member

Post by johnmccrossen »

I'm starting to figure out some answers to my original question. Two very good resources that I found from SS are:

1) http://www.woodworkingtoolsharpening.com

2) Hands-On archives 5-part series called "clean cuts" starting in July/Aug 03 through Mar/Apr 04.

It looks like my problems will be solved with practice, practice, practice. I also found a note I made from the lathe class that recommends a minimum chisel length of 6" when using the grinding attachment. The new spindle turning chisels from SS are barely 6" long. The first time I ground the skew, I used the wrong setting on the guide. By the time I re-ground the bevel, I ended up with about
5 3/4" left. I guess I will be replacing the skew first.

This is an interesting learning experience.
John McCrossen
Everett, Wa.
1954 Mk 5 SN 269454, 1955 Mk 5 SN 316013, 1960 Mk 5 SN 360792, 1962 Mk 5 SN 380102, Magna band saw, (2) jointers, (1) belt sander, (1) air compressor, (1) jig saw, (1) strip sander, (1) 20" scroll saw, DC 3300 dust collector, Sawsmith RAS, Craftsman table saw, 13" DeWalt planer, Triton 3 1/4 HP plunge router & table
bartll
Bronze Member

Post by bartll »

Oneway wolverine.

I would have taken some pictures but I recently rearranged my shop & couldn't remember where I put the long tool rest bar. The below URL will help show how it works. This jig makes sharpening lathe tools very simple. For me to do it it had to be simple.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/wlvrinervu.html

Here is a PDF document you can view that will help also.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfIma ... a08710.pdf
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

The Wolverine sharpening system is outstanding if you have a grinder, preferably an 8" with Aluminum Oxide wheels. I have one and it is a great compliment to the SS sharpening guide. I prefer the SS disc sander for the skew chisel with a straight ground edge because it doesn't hollow grind it. For my skews with a radiused edge I use the Wolverine platform with a hole drilled in it and the Veritas skew grinding jig http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... at=1,43072

For my bowl gouges with a swept back or Irish grind I use the Wolverine Vari-grind attachment, it also works with spindle gouges but I don''t always want a hollow grind so I use the SS sharpening guide for those.

Penn-State Industries sells an inexpensive knock-off of the Wolverine system http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcgrind4.html

If you are doing much turning you could join a turning club as they are a great resource for learning.
Jim in Tucson
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Has everyone that wanted information about the sharpening guide got it figured out? I can look for mine and take some pictures but I'm not so sure what good that will do. The resources posted should help out and if you have the manual take the time to read what it says there. As long as you follow the insturctions it should work... that is what I did and up until I switched to the shopsmith strip sander chisel sharpening attachment (555812).

Some of the cool features are that you can go from say 150 grit to 220 to 320 to 400 to 600 and if you want (non-shopsmith places) sell even finer grits (1200 typ). When you get to 600 and above you are in the mirror range and if you want you can also get a leather belt that fits in case you want to shave your beard in more confort. Of couse it is variable speed, and and since you have to have the strip sander to use it it becomes even more of a useful tool (Nick did a demo of the strip sander of late... haven't seen it yet) and yes the strip sander is one of my favorite attachments. You can also see the cup the chisels sit in so it reminds me a lot of certain other grinders...

To be honest it does have one major problem for those of you with only one shopsmith and no power stands.... it mounts to the lathe side (quill side) of the shopsmith.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I've been using the sharpening guide with success. I set the guide at 0 degrees and that duplicates the angle originally on the chisels. I think the highest angle setting on my guide is 6 or 7 degrees. I really don't understand why one would want to offset 13 degrees. Maybe someone with experience could answer why?

I really think the teachers at those classes must have been talking about the angle of the slot in the guide!

Incidentally, I use the belt sander for this sharpening.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Lathe Chisel Grinding

Post by dusty »

Where does the site "woodworkingtoolsharpening.com" hide. I don't believe I have ever seen this site before and wouldn't have now but for a link on this thread.

:confused: Are there more like this hiding out there?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.