Lathe Chisel Grinding

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dusty wrote:Grinding the roundnose looked to be the simplest of all. Actually, grinding it might be. Mounting the roundnose in the grinding fixture is my current problem.

It seems to me that there is NO WAY I can achieve the angle that is on that roundnose with the fixture I have.

If anyone has a camera that would allow a closeup of a properly ground roundnose, while mounted in the sharpening fixture, I would sure appreciate it.
Take a gander at the instructions that came with the Sharpening Jig. I again noticed these instructions are a little hard to figure out. However once the organization of the paper is understood, the instructions become more clear.

About the Roundnose - This is on page 7. moving the jig between 1/16" and 1/4" from the sander will vary the radius of the nose very much. The 15 degree angle seems to work for me - as well as the smaller radius. Yes, the 15 deg. angle is quite a change from the factory grind.

Just tighten down the knob when the chisel touches and let the jig do the work.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
bkhop
Gold Member

Post by bkhop »

paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

bkhop wrote:It takes a little bit longer, but it is a very nice, slow speed that would make even the Tormek jealous.
I love my Strip Sander but I would never try to compare it to my Tormek (which with attachments cost more than I paid for my 500 new). The Tormek has accessories that turn chisel grinding into a science instead of an art.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
bkhop
Gold Member

Post by bkhop »

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Again, at the risk of being repetitive, the Chisel attachment for the strip sander overcomes a lot of what people have posted about this thread. This attachemnet has been able to successfully shapen small as well as large chisels. Following the original contour of what it is to be sharpened is a snap. Just set the angle to match the contour and away you go. This item is beautiful in its simplicity.You really should check this out.
BPR
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

bkhop wrote: The strip sander (w/ speed reducer) is "compare-able" to the Tormek in terms of its speed, IMO. Would the strip sander, therefore, replace the Tormek? Ugh… no.
You are correct, in terms of speed but I would not consider it as a replacement. I am glad I have the luxury of having both.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Just to whet your interest, I'll be showing how to use the strip sander and sharpening attachment in the December 22, 2007 Sawdust Session. I'll also be showing how to adapt it to do plane irons, both small and large. It isn't just for chisels anymore.

With all good wishes,
baysidebob
Gold Member

Post by baysidebob »

I posted earlier message about using sharpening attachment. Still trying to get ahandle on the proper use. What ever I am doing wrong it just does not allow me to use this with my shopsmith either on the main table or the extension table. Magic answers apreciated.
Thanks to all Bob Fox
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

baysidebob wrote:I posted earlier message about using sharpening attachment. Still trying to get ahandle on the proper use. What ever I am doing wrong it just does not allow me to use this with my shopsmith either on the main table or the extension table. Magic answers apreciated.
Thanks to all Bob Fox
Bob - Here's the most magical answer I can think of http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm

Scroll down to Sawdust Session #4 - inside of that session and you will see the #3 part is about using the sharpening jig. Also another piece of magic - look at #8 on the blackboard.

I'm pretty sure this is the video that was mentioned earlier.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Lathe Chisel Grinding

Post by dusty »

baysidebob

I believe we have a slight miscommunication. The video reference was intended to take you to the Sawdust Session videos. Try clicking on this link:

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/shopvid ... hisles.htm

Elsewhere in this thread there has been some discussion about chisels that were shorter than others - maybe this is your problem. The fixture that we are talking about was designed specifically for Shopsmith chisels.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.