Lathe Chisel Grinding

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

One more short post on this subject - Right smack-dab in the middle of page 29 of the new Shopsmith Catalog is a NOTE. It says;

"Although the Sharpening Jig is designed to specifically designed for use with Shopsmith Lathe Chisels, other brands or types of chisels may also be sharpened with it, as long as the Lathe Chisels blades are at least 4" long and Bench Chisel blade 6""

Bob - The link Dusty gave you will get you to the Sharpening Jig video faster. To have the opportunity to see all of the posted Sawdust Sessions, click on the link I posted.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Nick wrote:Just to whet your interest, I'll be showing how to use the strip sander and sharpening attachment in the December 22, 2007 Sawdust Session. I'll also be showing how to adapt it to do plane irons, both small and large. It isn't just for chisels anymore.

With all good wishes,
Nick-

Thanks for doing this. I really think that once people will be impressed when they see how easy it is to use this attachment. I will be interested to see how it can be used to sharpen plane irons.

Happy Thanksgiving,
BPR
dusty
Platinum Member

A Good Hiding Place

Post by dusty »

dusty wrote:Where does the site "woodworkingtoolsharpening.com" hide. I don't believe I have ever seen this site before and wouldn't have now but for a link on this thread.

:confused: Are there more like this hiding out there?
is often right out in the open. In this case it is under the cover of PTWFE. The content of the website may not be an exact quote of a chapter in PTWFE but if not exact it is awfully close.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

"Although the Sharpening Jig is designed specifically for use with Shopsmith Lathe Chisels, other brands or types of chisels may also be sharpened with it, as long as the Lathe Chisels blades are at least 4" long and Bench Chisel blade 6."

Just so you know, folks, this is product of a sadly misinformed copywriter -- the tool is actually much more versatile than this unfortunate ad would have you believe. The Sharpening Jig was originally designed in the 1970s by a woodcarver to sharpen all sizes and brands of carving tools. Later, the inventor made improvements so it could also do plane irons. I bought one in 1984 and made a dead-simple holder that allows me to sharpen knives with it. I have sharpened tools as short as 3/4" and as long as 36".

The inventor died not long after I bought mine and the tool went out of production. His widow mistakenly believed the patent was worth millions upon millions of dollars and no manufacturer could reason with her. She eventually died too and Shopsmith was able to purchase the patent from her heirs for a reasonable fee. The only change we made in it was to adapt to our strip sander; we did not alter the basic form, we did not re-design it "...specifically for use with Shopsmith Lathe Chisels." In short, we didn't mess with it overmuch and it's still just as versatile as it ever was.

I'm also of the opinion that it's every bit as capable and easy-to-use as a Tormek. It will produce just as keen a cutting edge, provided you invest in a stropping belt and a little bit of Jeweler's Rouge. And it will do at least one thing that the Tormek can't -- with a special product from 3M, it will remove rust and corrosion from an old chisel or plane iron in seconds. (I'll be showing both the stropping belt and the rust remover in the upcoming Sawdust Session.)

When I was writing "Sharpening," I gathered up all the power sharpeners I could find and compared them all. I had to give the Tormek high marks, but this old jig scored higher.

With all good wishes,
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I think we are mixing quotes and sharpener systems here. The orginal post was about the sharpening guide 555204 which does have a real limit on the length of tools it will do.

The second tool mentioned was the attachment to the strip sander. This is the one that Nick seems to have as the subject of a up coming video.

For those of you who have the lee valley catalog check out page 57. The 1 x 42 leather belt (68Z80.02) is what I have (OK I also have the 1 x 30 belt on another tool). I also get the finer sanding (sharpening belt) the 1200 grit is 54K98.13. I also have used the 15 micron belt 54K98.01. The green honing compound is item number 05M08.01 over on page 53 or page 59.

OK guys time to drop some more money.... kaching kaching.

I'm also hoping Nick will show how to load a new leather belt other wise I can see a lot of post coming up on this subject.....

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

reible wrote:I think we are mixing quotes and sharpener systems here. The orginal post was about the sharpening guide 555204 which does have a real limit on the length of tools it will do.

The second tool mentioned was the attachment to the strip sander. This is the one that Nick seems to have as the subject of a up coming video.

For those of you who have the lee valley catalog check out page 57. The 1 x 42 leather belt (68Z80.02) is what I have (OK I also have the 1 x 30 belt on another tool). I also get the finer sanding (sharpening belt) the 1200 grit is 54K98.13. I also have used the 15 micron belt 54K98.01. The green honing compound is item number 05M08.01 over on page 53 or page 59.

OK guys time to drop some more money.... kaching kaching.

I'm also hoping Nick will show how to load a new leather belt other wise I can see a lot of post coming up on this subject.....

Ed

Ed I take it the Shopsmith strip sander uses a 42 inch belt? I don't have the strip sander but I keep thinking I need one.
Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi Ed,

Yep it is 42" and yep you need one.

After Nicks video I expect a lot of people will "need" one.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

reible wrote: ......The second tool mentioned was the attachment to the strip sander. This is the one that Nick seems to have as the subject of a up coming video.........
Ed

I am very interested in this video! I have the strip sander but not the sharpening attachment. At a Traveling Academy that I went to, Rick Davis clearly liked the other sharpening guide (which I have) better than the one for the strip sander, but to me it looks like the one for the strip sander would be easier to use??:confused:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Lathe Chisel Grinding

Post by dusty »

may be a bit easier with the Strip Sander because finer grit and leather (strops) belts are available.

I have the jig and have always been satisfied but I haven't been into turning. I shall wait and see.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.