Dual height work table

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Dual height work table

Post by robinson46176 »

I have been wanting a work table that I could use at 2 different heights for assembly and glue-up.
I have had a table stored back that was originally a store fixture out of my grandmother's store from years ago. It was 3' X 6' X 18" tall.
[ATTACH]15842[/ATTACH]

It has sturdy steel legs and a 1 1/2" frame tenoned together. The frame is heavy enough for clamping around the edge.
[ATTACH]15843[/ATTACH]

One of the things I have accumulated over the years is a batch of banquet table hardware, mostly from yard sales. I grabbed a pair of legs and using a batch of 2" X 4" cut-offs and a good bit of Tite-bond I mounted them to the old display table.
[ATTACH]15844[/ATTACH]

Now I can use it at either 18" with the banquet table legs folded or at just over 31" with them extended.
[ATTACH]15845[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Work table 1.JPG
Work table 1.JPG (77 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
Work table 2.JPG
Work table 2.JPG (87.94 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
Work table 3.JPG
Work table 3.JPG (93.73 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
Work table 4.JPG
Work table 4.JPG (96.1 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

=====================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I like it!
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I still use a "banquet" type table with the above type of folding legs for sharpening tools while seated. However, this height is too low for working while standing, requiring bending my back and neck, which is uncomfortable for any extended periods of working.

I've followed Christopher Schwarz's advice that a workbench height should be such that while standing, your outstretched palm should just settle on the surface. For me, at my height of 5' 9'', this height is about 34 inches. The reasoning here is that your whole body is involved in the work, not just your arms and shoulders. Handplaning would be a good example.

The height of a bench is not arbitrary, indeed some serious thought should be given in order to create a workplace that "fits" you individually, and will enable you to work without undue fatigue and strain.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

When planning the new shop I gave serious thought to an adjustable height table. Lower for project assembly like the sewing cabinets, higher for smaller projects. I ran out of time and space prior to building it. After building the sewing cabinets I realized assembly works better for me at the higher, standard workbench height. For my height that is under 30". My only remaining issue was moving the cabinets to the floor or back up on the bench. The new hydraulic lift table removes that obstacle. I have a twelve inch section of railroad rail that I often use as an anvil. Last weekend I needed it on the bench, yeah I store it on the floor (actually on a block of wood about six inches above the floor.) I tried to lift it and my arm reminded me that isn't an option. The lift table lifted it up, I used it and returned it to the floor. Man I love intelligent tools. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

8iowa wrote:I still use a "banquet" type table with the above type of folding legs for sharpening tools while seated. However, this height is too low for working while standing, requiring bending my back and neck, which is uncomfortable for any extended periods of working.

I've followed Christopher Schwarz's advice that a workbench height should be such that while standing, your outstretched palm should just settle on the surface. For me, at my height of 5' 9'', this height is about 34 inches. The reasoning here is that your whole body is involved in the work, not just your arms and shoulders. Handplaning would be a good example.

The height of a bench is not arbitrary, indeed some serious thought should be given in order to create a workplace that "fits" you individually, and will enable you to work without undue fatigue and strain.

I agree... My work bench is "about" 36". There I work mostly on "boards" :) doing things like using a plane as you say. This table is mostly for assembly and will be used mostly for "objects" some of which will require reaching up to work on upper areas like working on a drawer opening etc. so I don't want it too high. I tried a number of heights and if you look at the blocks that hold the legs you can see that I raised it about 2" there. Of course much like a Shopsmith, it is all compromise.
I also have several heights of stools so I can make things kind of fit.
The reason I jumped on this project now is that I need to quickly build a pair of utility shelves for Xmas decorations. They will be 6' tall by 3' wide and 8' long. In the old days I might have built them on the floor. That won't work today. :rolleyes: 8 years ago I would do them on a pair of sawhorses... Today I need a table. :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill