Dust Deputy on Shop Vac drum

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Dust Deputy on Shop Vac drum

Post by JPG »

Got a Dust Deputy and since a previous attempt to use a Shop Vac drum was a miserable failure, I decided to mount the DD on it.

[ATTACH]15849[/ATTACH]

The original top adapter(3/4" MDF) was enlarged to a 3" center hole and the DD mounting bolt holes drilled around it. A rubber gasket was made with 3/16" screw holes. The screws are 1/4" and the DD mounting holes are 5/16". I added a ring(1/2" MDF) on top of the DD mounting flange to distribute the stress. The ring had to be cut into 4 segments to clear the DD flange supports.

[ATTACH]15850[/ATTACH]

The DD mounting screws were secured with kepnuts inside. Washers were used on both ends of the screws. The top adapter is screwed to the top using the original vacuum motor mounting holes. A sponge rubber seal was added to the top/drum mating surface.

[ATTACH]15851[/ATTACH]

First 'test' was 10 1/16" jointer passes across the wide sides of a 2' 2x4. A small shop vac was used. The air really moves (velocity) with the Shop Vac. A 6' 2" hose connected the DD to the Shop Vac. A 20' 2" hose connected the DD to the jointer. As you can see, almost nothing accumulated the the Shop Vac itself. It got dumped in the old Shop Vac drum by the DD.

[ATTACH]15852[/ATTACH]

After the initial Shop Vac 'test' I connected to a DC 3300 and cut almost all the rest of the 2x4. The hose arrangement was the same. The internal cage that the old shop vac filter and tip over ball were held in by was preventing the debris from dropping into the drum. It piled up on the cage bottom and plugged the inlet. I tried deflecting the debris but unsuccessfully so. So the cage got cut out! The wider debris from the 'jointing' the wide sides of the 2x4 did not pass through the narrow openings in the cage.

It remains to be seen how it handles a wide planer pass.

I am pleased with the result. Doubly so since it works with both the small Shop Vac and the DC3300.
Attachments
mounted on old sv.jpg
mounted on old sv.jpg (243.13 KiB) Viewed 4873 times
inside old sv.jpg
inside old sv.jpg (382.32 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
sv after 10 pass.jpg
sv after 10 pass.jpg (516.19 KiB) Viewed 4872 times
2x4 after.jpg
2x4 after.jpg (427.27 KiB) Viewed 4828 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange