What is JPW

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: What is JPW

Post by JPG »

Well as a result of this thread resurfacing, I went web surfacing for JPW last night. Prices varied from $6+ to $30 and up. Availibility is essentially non existent.

I did a local search and found only one in stock in one Ace store. That store recently opened here as a offshoot of a lumber yard in Frankfort.

None of the big box stores had any.

Now there are none within a 50 mile radius of Lexington. Paid $9.59.

Got lucky fer a change.

THANK YOU for resurrecting this thread.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

A number of my local stores have Minwax brand on the shelves. If you can't find Johnson's or Trewax on the shelf, I wouldn't hesitate to use a can of Minwax. They are all very similar.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

YepI just checked Lowes 6 in stock at my nearest local store.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

How long will a can of JPW last when being used exclusively in a Shopsmith work shop?

I have 1 1/2 cans. I think that amounts to more than my remaining lifetime needs.

I bought the unopened can the last time I read (on this forum) that JPW was "no more".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:02 am How long will a can of JPW last when being used exclusively in a Shopsmith work shop?

I have 1 1/2 cans. I think that amounts to more than my remaining lifetime needs.

I bought the unopened can the last time I read (on this forum) that JPW was "no more".
Missed that. When was it?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:02 am How long will a can of JPW last when being used exclusively in a Shopsmith work shop?

When I bought my then 510 from Woodcraft in 1996 SS was supplying Trewax. I still have about 1/2 can left. I think that will last my lifetime. :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Likewise here. I got my Shopsmith from my Dad in 1988. Shortly after that I ordered a can of Trewax from Shopsmith. After 30+ years of use, I still have about 1/2 the can left.
Depending on how often you wax things, it might take most of a lifetime to use up a can on your Shopsmith, or if you wax it 10 times a day, you could use it up fast.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:58 am

Missed that. When was it?
I don't know. A long while back.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I picked up a new can a few years ago after my first one had become hard as a rock. It may be restorable but I didn't try. My parents used to do their hardwood floors with a floor waxer and gallon cans of the stuff. Back when it seemed like some form of paste wax was a household necessity.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

My JPW can is getting pretty low, about half the bottom not covered by wax (circa early 80's). When I first read of it being discontinued I knew I had half a can of Minwax 'equivalent' that I had received in a box of SS parts. I was going to try to make sure I like it as well and found it to be closed but dried up. This could have been something the PO did, but it is more like a paint can while the JPW is more like an automotive wax can and I suspect that is part of the problem. I decided to finda can of JPW just because it has always worked for me. Found one in a small hardware store, part of a small chain, for $8.99. From looking at eBay, seems like JPW is quickly becoming hard to come by for a reasonable price. Several recently sold for $12 - $14 range include shipping, but nothing like that is available now, it is easily double and up with shipping.

- David