Lift assist problem

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chettrick
Gold Member

Lift assist problem

Post by chettrick »

I got the Lift Assist awhile back and even though it works as advertised as well as saves my back, I have an alignment problem. Since I installed it, the opposite end of my waybars don't fit properly.

I have removed the lift assist and realigned the bars where the headstock slides smoothly from one end to the other. Then I reinstalled the lift and now the headstock does not make it to the end without a great deal of force. Much more than lifting the SS with the headstock on the left side.

Can anyone else identify with this problem or am I on my own?
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi chettrick,

Last April I attended the three day Traveling Academy and brought along SWMBO. Fortunatly for me SWMBO was intrigued by what she saw and I (was allowed to) purchased enough SS goodies to get the Lift Assist for free:D . I still have not installed it:( . I have read other threads on this forum concerning the Lift Assist, but I have not come across anything like what you describe. I will be watching this thread to see what more experienced owners have to say about it.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I have had the Lift Assist for a few years and the only issue I ever had was when turning small items I could not get the headstock close enough to the tail-stock. This was solved easily and cheaply with after speaking to Shopsmith customers service. Details in other threads.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
dusty
Platinum Member

List assist problem

Post by dusty »

Yes, I had a bit of difficulty with the installation. But that has all been resolved and I am very satisfied with the lift assist.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... T#post1923

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... T#post1874
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I also have not had much of a problem. All I do is extend the quill the appropriate distance when working on small turnings like pens.
BPR
dusty
Platinum Member

Lift assist problem

Post by dusty »

paulmcohen wrote:I have had the Lift Assist for a few years and the only issue I ever had was when turning small items I could not get the headstock close enough to the tail-stock. This was solved easily and cheaply with after speaking to Shopsmith customers service. Details in other threads.
Hey, Paul - give me a little help here. Which other threads tell how to extend the reach of the quill?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:Hey, Paul - give me a little help here. Which other threads tell how to extend the reach of the quill?

Dusty
I think Paul meant he used the quill handle to extend the quill until it was fully extended, or to it's most outward length.
I also think there is an live center extender that will extend the live center and I would guess between the two of them. Extending the quill if full travel and with the live center extension you could easily chuck most anything in the SS in lathe position.
Ed
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

chettrick wrote:I got the Lift Assist awhile back and even though it works as advertised as well as saves my back, I have an alignment problem. Since I installed it, the opposite end of my waybars don't fit properly.

I have removed the lift assist and realigned the bars where the headstock slides smoothly from one end to the other. Then I reinstalled the lift and now the headstock does not make it to the end without a great deal of force. Much more than lifting the SS with the headstock on the left side.

Can anyone else identify with this problem or am I on my own?

I remember reading somewhere about a similar problem. I will try to find it.

From what I remember it was problem with where the lift was installed to the way bars. I think the key is to mount the lift to the way bars where it naturally falls when fully extended. I think if you push the mounting tight against the tie bar it will actually torque the way bars when laid back down.

After I posted I found the thread I was thinking of so I edited this to add the address
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=272

Hope that helps
Ed
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

dusty wrote:Hey, Paul - give me a little help here. Which other threads tell how to extend the reach of the quill?
None, the trick is to extend the reach of the live center on the tail-stock.

The ball bearing on the Shopsmith live center unscrews and Shopsmith sells a a steel rod threaded on one end to fit the bearing and a hole on the other to reattach the back half. You can use up to two of these and each one extends the center about 1.5 inches. One of these comes with the Lathe Duplicator.

The other option is a #2 or #2 Morse Taper extender, pictures of both are below.

[ATTACH]592[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]593[/ATTACH]
Attachments
HPIM0452.JPG
HPIM0452.JPG (302.76 KiB) Viewed 19116 times
HPIM0451.JPG
HPIM0451.JPG (399.58 KiB) Viewed 19119 times
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
dusty
Platinum Member

Live Center Problem - with Lift Assist.

Post by dusty »

Thanks Paul. You could do more to help me with this problem than this response - unless you wanted to send me an extender.

I think I have learned something in this post that I didn't expect. Is the tapered end of the live center an axample of a morse taper?

Thanks guys. Every day I learn something.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty