Opr Set-ups

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I'll leave the "other problems" for others but I will address the old OPR issues if you want. I'm not to sure who besides myself here have and use this machine.

I'm a bit confused so lets see if I can ask some questions and get you and me on the same page.

From what it sounds like you have the 1980's version of the OPR, which happens to be the same one I have. Now I think you must have one of the non-wood tops which allows it to use a router in the table or/and a router on the arm. To make sure take a look at these pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12199425@N02/sets/72157601718316398/

If yours looks like this one then we can go on to other things....

First this has long ago gone out of production. Shopsmith has or had a few parts for it but the new OPR has given us the option of getting a few of the needed parts where the designs are the same. If you don't have it you might want to get the exploded parts list to look at. If you are thinking of converting the old to the new... good luck with that. My guess it will be $500 or $600 worth of parts, or to say just buy the new one.

The table is no longer something you can buy but you have other options like more ebaying. My OPR came with the wood table. I got the stand and table in a second effort as a standalone shopsmith router table. The table had either fallen or gotten wet along the front edge and expanded... I fix it by sanding it down and coating with epoxy. Then when another table came along on ebay I purchased that. Neither of the table display the sag you mentioned but if some one had left a 13-15 pound router in the table for the last 20 years that could do it. So you have the option of waiting for one to show up. You also have the option of making your own or buying one to modify.

If you are thinking about using guide bushings and inserts on the old table you might want to look at this. It was one of the first things I did, can't live without guide bushing and inserts. Pictures are at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12199425@N02/sets/72157601724518457/

If you don't have the manual make sure you get one. Some of the jigs I made from the manual can see here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12199425@N02/1257466969/in/set-72157601718316668/

I have also posted several projects done with the pin router and if you care to you can look at a bunch of other pictures at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12199425@N02/sets/

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Thank you. Mine is quite similar- maybe a bit later, The only parts I was wanting were the clamp and the bare arm. That wouldn't be cheap, but it is for an idea swirling around in my head. The new "I" beam and clamps allow for adjustment front to back. I think I will graft the tube support to my Jessem for the best of both worlds, but I would still like the two parts.
Your template guide is great and I have the means and the parts. I could even set a pin into a blank brass insert. Yours is very well executed.

I have a manual but your shows more than mine. Now, I am going to look at your projects. Thanks again, mt
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Just got back from a quick scan of your notebook. Is there a way I can save it? It further inspires my satisfaction that I have this clever machine. It was kind of you to let me look.mt
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Give shopsmith a call and get the parts list for the new OPR. The document number I think is 845555 and I have rev A 06/05. They may have a more current issue then this. The arm is part number 522259 and that is for the arm without all the gears, slides, nuts bolts or anything else. I don't know if the guts from the old one like we have will all fit or not. The brackets are orderable as an assembly 522285.

Keep in mind once you have guide bushing to use they will function as pins. The sign routing and shapes and the inlay were all done using guide bushings as pins. This turns out to let you do some really cool things.

The pictures are "public" so you should be able to down load them... I'm guessing you figured out that clicking them brings them up larger, right??

Keep checking back here or at the ssug.org site as I normal post updates as I do projects with the OPR. I have several in the works but it is just to cold in the shop to work now... only 45 deg.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Ed-you are indeed the shining knight. I ordered another Jessem solid phenolic table. I can rout the "T" dados in the bottom and epoxy the aluminum female into place.- they, the tables, are very "meaty." Then I can use the OPR and my FX lift with 890 series PC; and, there are blank insert rings and pre cut for PC bushings. Again, thanks- I'll be calling SS Monday. mt